Subject: Anonymous FTP: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) List

From: [email-masked] (Perry Rovers)
Date: 4 May 1994 10:47:11 GMT

Archive-name: ftp-list/faq
Last-Modified: 02-May-94
Version: 2.4.7

                           Anonymous FTP
               Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) List

Suggestions for changes and comments are always welcome.

** Updated News:
Tom Czarnik has stopped maintaining this list.
The last version he released was 2.4.2 of 29-Apr-93.
Starting with version 2.4.3 this FAQ and the Anonymous FTP
site list are maintained by Perry Rovers ([email-masked])

Copyright (c) 1994, Perry Rovers -- Text may be quoted in on-line documents
and written publications, but please notify me so I can add a reference
and make sure that you add pointers to the places where people can get
the latest version. You may make this file available on public servers,
like ftp, gopher or WWW servers as well, but please let me know.
Do not modify the info itself (i.e. converting it to some other format)
before consulting me. All rights reserved. This may seem stricter than
the last versions, but I only want to make sure I'm notified of how
this file is used and for what purpose. If you contact me, I'm sure
we can work something out.

[Start Of File]
======================================================================

I keep a directory of Internet sites accepting Anonymous FTP and mail
retrieval of their files.

Topics are shown below and with their respective answers.

Format: (Q#) for a question and (A#) for the answer.

        (1)  What is and how do I use the FTP program?
        (2)  What types of FTP information are available?
        (3)  What is the most current version?
        (4)  Retrieving the listings via email.
        (5)  Using FTP without direct Internet access.
        (6)  Getting help when you have problems with a site.
        (7)  Getting a site listed or changes made.
        (8)  What is Archie and how does it relate to the list?
        (9)  Using Gopher/WWW/WAIS to access archives.
       (10)  How do I stop the listings from scrolling off the screen?

(Q1) What is and how do I use the FTP program?

(A1) For novices to the Internet, I highly recommend a good book,
'The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog' by Ed Krol. It is 
written clearly and contains an enormous amount of information. Read 
it cover to cover, and keep it close at hand. Published by O'Reilly & 
Asscociates, it is available from many computer bookstores or 
O'Reilly's worldwide distributors. Contact the publisher at +1 707-
829-0515 (USA), or send e-mail to [email-masked] for information.

Unfortunately, this book is already outdated, but it still offers
an invaluable resource and manual for novices and more experienced
Internet users. Other books are 'The Internet Companion',
'Internet: Getting Started' and a lot more. Look for them in your
local bookstore. Almost all of the information in these books is
also available on-line through various documents like the MaasInfo
files, Zen and the Art of the Internet, The HitchHiker's Guide to
the Internet, The Big Dummy's Guide to the Internet, the on-line
version of The.Internet.Companion, the Internet Resource Guide and
a whole number of FAQs, RFCs and the like.

The MaasInfo files appear to be the most recent of these kind of files
(look for info on where to get them in the sitelisting itself).

Another source for information might be the magazine Internet World,
>from Meckler Corp. ([email-masked]).

I'm not affiliated with any of the publishers, authors or anyone
mentioned above, but I bought some of the books and like them.

The information below was originally maintained by Jon Granrose (one of
the old maintainers of the listings). Mike Jones added the info about the
existence and location of the compression data chart maintained by 
David Lemson. Tom Czarnik added some as well and I have made some
changes too.

                                  By:

                            Jon Granrose
                              Mike Jones
                             Tom Czarnik
                             Perry Rovers

      This is not a definitive guide to FTP, but will give a novice a
      general idea of what it is and how to do it.

                              What is FTP?

      FTP (File Transfer Protocol) allows a person to transfer files
      between two computers, generally connected via the Internet. If
      your system has FTP and is connected to  the Internet, you can
      access very large amounts of archives available on a number of
      systems. If you are on Bitnet or a UUCP host, you should look
      for servers that work through the mail. A good source of
      information on archives in general, is the Usenet newsgroup
      comp.archives.

                         What is Anonymous FTP?

      Many systems throughout the Internet offer files through
      anonymous FTP. This means that you can access a machine
      without having to have an account on that machine. These
      anonymous FTP servers contain software, documents of various
      sorts, and files for configuring networks. Archives for
      electronic mailing lists are often stored on and are available
      through anonymous FTP. An enormous amount of information
      is stored on these machines and is ready for anyone who's
      seeking it.

      Note that all this is subject to change, it is a privilege
      and the person responsible for the machine can shut it down
      at any time without you being able to do anything about it.

                                Commands

      All the normal FTP commands may be used to retrieve files. Some
      FTP commands are the same on different computers, but others
      are not.
      Usually, FTP will list the commands if you type 'help' or type a
      question mark (?). Also, your computer's help command may have
      information about FTP. Try 'man ftp', 'man ftpd' or 'help ftp'.

      Some useful commands available on most systems include:

        ascii   Switch to ascii mode. Ascii mode is the default mode
                and used for transferring text files
        binary  Switch to binary mode. For transferring binary files
                like .ZIP files, .Z files and the like
        cd      Change the directory on the remote computer
        dir/ls  List the files in the current directory on the remote
                computer
        get     Copy a file from the remote computer to yours
        hash    Puts a '#' on the screen for every 1024 bytes transferred
        help    Gives help on the use of commands within the ftp program
        lcd     Change the directory on your computer (the 'l' is for local)
        lpwd    Shows the present working directory (pwd) on your
                computer (the 'l' is for local)
        mget    Copy multiple files from the remote computer to yours
        pwd     Shows the present working directory (pwd) on the
                remote computer

                               Procedure

      Anonymous FTP is a facility offered by many machines on the
      Internet.
      This permits you to log in with the user name 'anonymous' or the
      user name 'ftp'. When prompted for a password, type your e-mail
      address -- it's not necessary, but it's a courtesy for those
      sites that like to know who is making use of their facility. Be
      courteous. Some sites require a valid e-mail address, others don't.

      You can then look around and retrieve files. (Most anonymous ftp
      sites do not permit people to store files). Note that when you
      retrieve files, you have to know where the files are going to
      end up on your machine. This is where the 'lpwd' command comes
      in handy. Also note that when you have transferred a file that
      you want to use on your PC, but you run ftp from a Unix machine
      (or a similar mainframe or network machine), you will have to ftp
      the file from the Unix machine to your PC first (this is assuming
      that you can't ftp to outside your company or campus from your PC,
      otherwise you could have gotten the file directly to the PC).
      This may sound silly, but sometimes people don't know where their
      files are stored or a system administrator decides to give ftp
      access to only a few systems.

      Typically, a directory called 'pub' is where the interesting
      things are stored. Some sites will have a file with a name
      like ls-lR, that contains a complete list of the files on
      that site. Otherwise, you can type ls -lR and get such a listing
      -- for some sites, this can take a LONG time.

      When retrieving non-text files, you must use binary mode,
      otherwise the file gets messed up. To do this, use the
      'binary' command. (It's safe to set this for text files, but
      the result might look a bit different from an ASCII transfer)
      If the site at the other end is non-Unix, you may need to 
      use some other mode -- see the documents or README files
      for that site and for FTP.

      The simplest way to initiate FTP would be to give the command 
      'ftp <system-name>'. The  <system-name>  is the remote
      system you are connecting to, either a name like garbo.uwasa.fi, 
      if you have an entry in /etc/hosts or are accessing a Domain 
      Name Server or the Internet address 128.214.87.1  for Garbo. If
      that last sentence doesn't seem to make sense just try: ftp
      garbo.uwasa.fi or ftp 128.214.87.1 and look what happens.
      After a short wait, you will be prompted for your username. If 
      you do not have an account on the remote system, some systems 
      allow you to use 'anonymous'. This gives you a restricted
      access path (meaning that you can only run certain commands 
      like 'dir' or 'ls' and are allowed only access to certain
      directories like 'pub').

      You would then be prompted for a password. Some systems will
      tell you to send your real identity as the password. What you 
      type doesn't matter in most cases, but it is suggested to give
      your mail address. This as a courtesy to the archive maintainers,
      they would like to know who's using their system. Other systems
      need a password of 'guest', or something similar. DO NOT 
      TYPE A PASSWORD THAT YOU USE ON YOUR OWN SYSTEM.

      After that, you should receive the FTP prompt ( usually ftp> )
      and have access. You can get a directory of files by giving a 
      'dir' command or if the remote system is Unix-based,
      'ls -l' will give the familiar output. On Garbo, there is a 
      file available in the default anonymous ftp directory that
      explains what Garbo is and where files are located. Look
      for 00-index.txt files or something similar.

      Unix systems will all have the same directory structure, and
      moving around is done with the 'cd' or 'cwd' command.
      TOPS-20, VAX/VMS, DOS VM/CMS and other systems have a different
      structure, but movement is still accomplished with the 'cd'
      command.
      TOPS-20 has directories of the form: DISK:<DIR1.DIR2>, VAX/VMS
      has directories of the form DISK:[DIR1.DIR2] (use cd [-] instead
      of cd .. and cd [.DIR1] instead of cd dir1). DOS, OS/2 and
      Windows NT look like Unix but have shorter directory names. 
      VM/CMS has mini-disks that can be accessed with the CD command.
      A lot of systems give some information about how to use the
      system when you login, look for that after you have typed
      the password (some of those messages will not be shown if
      you use a - as the first character in your password, some
      people need this because the system won't recognize them
      otherwise. If you have problems logging into a site, try
      a - as the first character).

      Different systems have different organizations for their files, 
      and the above example is the way most archives have it set up.
      By looking around other systems, you can learn how their files 
      are arranged and move around much faster. Note, however,
      that FTP will not allow you outside the FTP 'root' directory. 
      Moving about the entire system is not permitted. You will 
      get 'Permission denied' messages.

      Usually, files are grouped in archive files, so you don't have
      to get many small files separately. The most common archival
      file formats for the Internet are tar and zip. Occasionally, 
      people use shell archives (shar) instead. Tar files are basically
      a bunch of files 'glued' together. Tar archives can be unpacked
      by running the 'tar' command on a Unix system (tar exists also
      for DOS, VMS and a whole bunch of other Operating Systems) --
      you may want to first do a 'tar t' on the file to see what it
      contains before unpacking it. This means typing: tar t filename.tar
      and looking what the output shows.
      Be careful when unpacking shell archives since they have to be 
      run through the Bourne shell to unpack them. (The simplest
      way is to use the unshar command).

      Files are often stored compressed, because they take up less
      space that way -- for Unix, the most common compression 'scheme'
      is the 'compress' program, indicated by a .Z suffix on the file
      name. Also you will find Arc, Zoo, Arj, Lzh or Zip files,
      which are combined archival and compression formats (there are
      other archival formats as well - talk to the systems staff if
      you encounter them and don't know how to deal with them).
      For .zip files use zip and unzip (or pkzip/pkunzip), which are
      available for all Operating Systems.

      Archival and compression utilities are very handy, but can make
      it very difficult to 'get' a file and use it:
      when you're on a DOS or VMS system for example you can't type:

         get filename.tar.Z

      You have to type:

         get filename.tar.Z filename.tz

      or something like that and then remember what you have to do to
      unpack the file, namely first running your version of 'compress'
      on it and then your version of 'tar'.
      Remember this when you can't seem to transfer a file.

      These are the most common file types (there are zillions more):

         SUFFIX      FTP     TYPE
         ------      ---     -----
        .arc         bin     ARChive (hardly used anymore)
        .arj         bin     Arj (mostly MS-DOS)
        .gif         bin     Graphics Interchange Format
        .gz          bin     GNU Zip
                             (Not compatible with Zip.
                             Found on some sites as .z files.
                             GNU zip is seen in combination with
                             tar as .tgz files, maybe even as .tz files)
        .hqx         bin     HQX (Mac)
        .jpg         bin     JPEG (graphics format)
        .lzh         bin     LHa, LHarc, Larc
        .shar        ascii   SHell ARchive (mostly Unix)
        .sit         bin     Stuff-It (Mac)
        .tar         bin     Tape ARchive (mostly Unix)
        .uu          ascii   uuencode/uudecode (also .uue)
        .Z           bin     compress (mostly Unix, seen in combination
                             with tar as .tar.Z files)
        .zip         bin     Zip (either PKZip or Zip/Unzip)
        .zoo         bin     Zoo

      To get a list of all file compression/archiving methods and the
      programs to uncompress/unarchive (on the PC, Mac, Unix, VAX/VMS,
      VM/CMS, Atari ST and Amiga systems), FTP to the following sites
      and retrieve the listed file:

          ftp.cso.uiuc.edu directory: /doc/pcnet/compression

      This could be helpful to people new to FTP that don't know how
      to unpack the file they have just transferred.
      Also check out the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Lists and
      other periodical postings in the news.answers group. Especially
      the comp.graphics, comp.compression and the different
      Operating Systems FAQs (Unix, VMS etc.) can be very handy.

(Q2) What types of FTP information are available?

(A2)    FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions List about FTP
        SITELIST - Comprehensive Information, containing:

        o Site name
        o Country
        o Date of last modification
        o GMT difference (+/-)
        o Source of last update
        o Administrative e-mail address
        o Organization maintaining FTP site
        o Email Server if available and instructions for use
        o System Type
        o Comments
        o Types of Files

     Note that apart from my ftp-list.zip file, Timo Salmi and
     Rhys Weatherley are maintaining a complementary list of
     a number of MS-DOS ftp sites. They list some more information
     on a subset of sites in my SITELIST file. The file is called
     moder*.zip where * is a version number and it is available
     from garbo.uwasa.fi in directory /pc/pd2 and oak.oakland.edu
     in directory /pub/msdos/info.
     Also, Christian Hettler is maintaining a list of German FTP
     sites on ftp.ask.uni-karlsruhe.de, directory: /pub/info, file:
     ftp.list.de and Arjan de Vet is maintaining a list of Dutch FTP
     sites on ftp.win.tue.nl, directory: pub/usenet/nlnet, file: nl-ftp
     (this one is in Dutch).

(Q3) What is the most current version?

(A3) Look in the Version: line in the top of this file and compare
     it to the faq file in ftp-list.zip on garbo.uwasa.fi or
     oak.oakland.edu

(Q4) Retrieving the list from alternate sources.

(A4) 1) Pick it up from anonymous FTP archives; look for 'ftp-list'
        in the SITELIST file. Be warned, many sites carry Jon
        Granrose's (sometimes known as ODIN.FTPLIST, pre Jan-92) or
        Tom Czarniks's old FTP listing (pre Apr-93) and these files
        are outdated. It will take a while for this version to spread,
        but the following sites always carry the latest version:

        Europe - garbo.uwasa.fi as /pc/doc-net/ftp-list.zip
        USA    - rtfm.mit.edu in the /pub/usenet/news.answers/ftp-list
                 directory: faq file and sitelist directory (ASCII)
        USA    - oak.oakland.edu as /pub/msdos/info/ftp-list.zip
        Asia   - ftp.edu.tw in /documents/networking/guides/ftp-list
                 several files in several formats (.Z, .gz, .zip, ASCII,
                 dBase and MS-Access database versions and AmigaGuide
                 Hypertext version)

        Admins who would like to mirror the list are welcome to mirror any
        of the above sites/directories, dependent on what format they like.

     2) send an e-mail message to [email-masked] with
        no subject and in the body of the message:

          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/faq
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part1
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part2
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part3
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part4
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part5
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part6
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part7
          send usenet/news.answers/ftp-list/sitelist/part8

     3) Send me mail: [email-masked]. State how you need it sent
        and I'll get to it you ASAP. Thanks to the efforts of
        Louis Wiczkowski ([email-masked]) and Dave Thomas
        ([email-masked]) there will be made available
        from ftp.edu.tw a dBase and Microsoft Access database version
        and a Hypertext AmigaGuide version. The list is also searchable
        through some gophers, I'm gonna add a list of them at some
        later date.

(Q5) Using FTP without direct Internet access.

(A5) It is possible to get files from a site by using a general mail
server. Many sites have their own servers. If you're on BITNET, ask
your sysadmin or technical support group about PUCC (or send mail
with a body of 'help' (no quotes, and nothing else) to BITFTP@PUCC,
BITFTP@PLEARN or BITFTP@DEARN (known on the Internet as
[email-masked], [email-masked] and [email-masked]
respectively)

Also, there's a service called TRICKLE, a concentrator of several
ftp sites. Through TRICKLE you can retrieve files by e-mail or
have them ftped to your own machine or SEND to you. It's also possible
to subscribe to directories or files (you can for instance subscribe
to the McAfee virusscanner and get it by mail everytime there's
a new version). Send e-mail with '/HELP' (no quotes) in the body
to [email-masked] or [email-masked],
for more info and a list of other trickle servers.

For non-BITNET sites, try using DEC's mail server. Send mail to
[email-masked]  with 'help' (no quotes) in the body of the
letter. You should NOT send a blank letter, commands are not optional.

Other servers that might be closer and provide the same service are:
- [email-masked] (Australia)
- [email-masked] (Germany)
- [email-masked] (France)
- [email-masked] (Great Britain)
- [email-masked] (Ireland)
- [email-masked] (Sweden)
- [email-masked] (USA)
- [email-masked] (USA, message relayed to [email-masked])

Actually, you are urged to use one of the above instead of decwrl.dec.com.
That machine is very overloaded as it is the most widely known ftpmailer.
So, lift the burden and use (faster!) local machines!!!

  Requests for the ftpmail servers are of the form:

    open <site>
    cd <directory>
    dir                              # To obtain a directory listing
    get <file>                       # To retrieve a file
    quit

  Example:
    open rtfm.mit.edu
    cd pub/usenet/news.answers/ftp-list
    get faq
    quit

NOTE: Please make sure your system admin has approved the the use of
      a mail server, as files can take system resources of not only
      your site, but several sites up the stream. And please abide
      by the guidelines that the ftpmail server administrators have
      put in their help files. Most ftpmail servers default to their
      own site for files, so try retrieving things from that site first.
      In general, most files you need are already available there, so
      it is a waste to connect to another machine.

(Q6) Problems with a site.

(A6) Mail the problems to the admin address shown in the Sites list.
If an address is not shown, attempt to use 'ftp@site_name'; replace
'site_name' with the name of the troublesome site. If it's very
urgent, try sending a note describing the problem to
postmaster@site_name or when the site is a Unix machine: root@site_name
and when the site is a VAX/VMS machine: operator@site_name (the
postmaster@site_name should be valid in all cases).
If that fails, post a note to comp.archives.admin (the newsgroup for
archive administrators). I'm going to include a list of common error
messages here someday, so you don't have to contact the admin for
some common notices you might receive. One of those message is:
'permission denied'. This can mean a few things: either you don't have
write rights to the directory where you started 'ftp' from and you're
trying to retrieve a file or the file or directory on the remote
site has been made unaccessible to you (e.g. a /private directory).
The solution to the first possibility is to change to a directory
where you are allowed to write files (like your 'home' directory)
and the solution to the second possibility is to ask the admin
to change the permissions to that file or directory, but you'd
better have a good reason to need access to that file or directory,
most of the time those permissions are not there for nothing.
Other messages will be included at a later date, in the meanwhile,
check the helpfiles on your ftp client first if they give you the
answer.

(Q7) Getting a site listed or changes made.

(A7) Send mail to [email-masked]
     Include the information stated below, in the body of the
     letter.

     Needed information

        o Site name
        o Site's country of operations, preferably location within
          country as well
        o GMT difference (I don't bother with daylight savings and the like)
        o Manager(s) full name & email address(es) (not made public if
          you don't want it)
        o Any aliases you want listed for the site (preferred are ALL
          aliases that you know, because some people might refer to them.
          These are just there for completeness sake and to easily spot
          duplicate entries, NOT for use by anonymous ftp users)
        o Administrative address used for FTP related issues by the
          general public (like ftp@site_name)
        o Organization operating site, department within the organization
        o Is an E-mail server available and how can one use it?
        o Type of system the server is running on (OS, hardware)
        o Comments (restrictions and the like if any)
        o General description of the types of files available, special
          directories etc.

(Q8) What is Archie and how does it relate to FTP?

(A8) Archie is a special server that keeps file listings from
different FTP sites. You can Telnet to a server (login with username
'archie') or use a client program to search for specific files.

Here are some sites; send mail to 'archie@site_name' for a help file.
Note that some sites do not support mail access. Most do however.

    archie.au*                  139.130.4.6     Australia
    archie.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at* 140.78.3.8      Austria
    archie.univie.ac.at*        131.130.1.23    Austria
    archie.uqam.ca*             132.208.250.10  Canada
    archie.funet.fi             128.214.6.100   Finland
    archie.th-darmstadt.de*     130.83.22.60    Germany
    archie.ac.il*               132.65.6.15     Israel
    archie.unipi.it*            131.114.21.10   Italy
    archie.wide.ad.jp           133.4.3.6       Japan
    archie.kr*                  128.134.1.1     Korea
    archie.sogang.ac.kr*        163.239.1.11    Korea
    archie.rediris.es*          130.206.1.2     Spain
    archie.luth.se*             130.240.18.4    Sweden
    archie.switch.ch*           130.59.1.40     Switzerland
    archie.ncu.edu.tw*          140.115.19.24   Taiwan
    archie.doc.ic.ac.uk*        146.169.11.3    United Kingdom
    archie.unl.edu              129.93.1.14     USA (NE)
    archie.internic.net*        198.48.45.10    USA (NJ)
    archie.rutgers.edu*         128.6.18.15     USA (NJ)
    archie.ans.net*             147.225.1.10    USA (NY)
    archie.sura.net*            128.167.254.179 USA (MD)

To get a list, type: telnet archie.ans.net
and login as 'archie' (no quotes) and type 'servers' (again, no quotes).
Of course you can also try a server somewhat closer but this list
is from archie.ans.net

(Q9) Using Gopher/WWW/WAIS to access archives.

(A9) Some sites offer retrieval of their FTP archives through Gopher,
a browser for the Internet. You can use a so-called Gopher client
program to connect to a Gopher server (in this case the Gopher server
of the ftp-site). Type 'gopher' on your system to see if Gopher is
installed. Most of the time this will bring up a menu system from
which you have several choices. Check the help pages for instructions
or ask a local system administrator or helpdesk on how to use it.
If Gopher does not appear to be installed, ask your local helpdesk
why it isn't. Installing Gopher on your system consists of getting
a client program for your Operating System and installing it.
You can get client programs for Gopher for several Operating Systems
>from the boombox.micro.umn.edu ftp site in directory /pub/gopher
and from lots of other sites around the world (check the SITELIST file
for more sites).
Read the Usenet newsgroup comp.infosystems.gopher for more info.
If I know that a site supports Gopher, this info can be found in the
Comments: line in the SITELIST file. Other means of retrieving files
are through the World Wide Web (WWW or W3) or WAIS. These services
are extensions to the 'bare bones' FTP approach and are rapidly
become more popular. They are easy to use and if you have the
resources you should consider getting a client for either Gopher, WWW
or WAIS (or all) from a good ftp site. Check the relevant comp.infosystems.*
group or/and the sitelist for addresses of clients and how to install them.

(Q10) How do I stop the listings from scrolling off the screen?

(A10) When you're retrieving a directory listing of a large site,
it's quite possible that the number of files in a directory is
bigger than the number of rows on your screen. The listing then
scrolls of your screen. There are several ways to avoid this.
You can use 'ls -CF' or 'ls -lF'  (no quotes) to get a directory listing
like the MS-DOS 'dir/w' command (a 'wide' directory listing). Also,
some ftp clients support: 'ls -l "| more"' or 'dir "| more"'.
This seems to differ however per site so trying some of the following
might help you:
  ls -l |more
  dir |more
  Ctrl-S to stop the scrolling, Ctrl-Q to resume scrolling
  Alt-Scrollock to pause the screen
These combinations are highly machine specific but probably one
of them will work for you. Also, instead of using 'dir' or 'ls'
you can try to retrieve an index file first to look at that.
Either transfer the file and look at it while you're not connected
to the ftp site, transfer the file and look at it while you're
connected (by using a 'shell' command, you temporarily leave the
ftp client program to look at the file with some editor, cat or more,
look in the help pages of the ftp client for more info) or read the
file while you're connected by retrieving it to the screen itself,
use:

get filename.idx -   (if you're working on a Unix system)
get filename.idx tt  (if you're working on a VMS system)
get filename.idx con (if you're working on a MS-DOS system)

I have no idea what the appropriate command for VM/CMS is. Any takers?
Be aware that this is very useful for small files but is not very
easy for large files (unless you redirect the output to some filter,
like 'more'). Also, reading large files while you are connected is
not recommended because it keeps the ftp server loaded, be sensitive
and don't overuse this. Get some readme or index files first and read
them off-line so you know how the site is organized and where you can
find things.

======================================================================
[End Of File]