Subject: NFS & TCP/IP FAQ for PCs & Macs [part 01/06]

From: [email-masked] (Rawn Shah)
Date: 1 Nov 1993 19:20:34 GMT

Archive-name: pcnfs-faq/part1
Last-modified: 1993/10/28
Version: 1.5

Back again from the blue. Here's version 1.5. 

Disclaimer:
	The material in this FAQ is not based on preferrence for any
one product. All questions have been drawn from the archives of
comp.protocols.nfs starting from the very beginning. To all distributers/ 
software houses: If you feel that there is unfair representation of your
product in this list please mail me at:
	[email-masked]	or
	[email-masked]

or call:
	(602) 318-0696 [US]

I have to admit that there is one bias. All addresses or phone numbers which
do not state which country they are in, are in the US. I've been pretty 
oblivious about that.

NOTE: If you use this FAQ list and decide you like a product listed here
enough to purchase it, please mention where you got this information to the
product seller. Thank you.

Rawn Shah
RTD Systems & Networking, Inc.
Tucson, AZ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*. This FAQ

*-1.   What topics does this FAQ cover?
*-2.   Where can I get this FAQ?
*-3.   Who helped write this FAQ?
*-4.   Who maintains this FAQ?
*-5.   Who maintains comp.protocols.nfs?
*-6.   Where are the archives for comp.protocols.nfs?
*-7.   Trademarks and Registered names.
*-8.   What do the -, + and * before the questions mean?
*-9.  *Whats up and coming in the next issue of the FAQ list?

The real FAQ:

A. Basics

A-1.   What is NFS?
A-2.   What is (PC)NFS?
A-3.   Where can I get (PC)NFS for my DOS system?
A-4.   Where can I get (PC)NFS for my MS-Windows system?
A-5.  +Where can I get (PC)NFS for my Macintosh system?
A-6.   What is PC-NFS as opposed to (PC)NFS?
A-7.   What is TCP/IP?
A-8.   What is telnet? What is ftp?
A-9.   What is a client? What is a server? Why do I need them?
A-10.  Where can I get (PC)NFS cheap/free/PD?
A-11.  What is SOS & SOSS? Where can I get it?
A-12. +Are there any free NFS clients available for DOS?
A-13.  What is SLIP?
A-14.  What is PPP?

B. Setup

B-1.  *What are the different types of drivers available?
B-2.  -What are "shim"s? What shims are available?
B-3.   What are packet drivers? Where do I get them?
B-4.   Can I use packet drivers with (PC)NFS?
B-5.  +Can I run (PC)NFS over SLIP?
B-6.   Can I run (PC)NFS at the same time as Netware?
B-7.   Can I run (PC)NFS at the same time as CUTCP or NCSA Telnet?
B-8.   Can (PC)NFS run with NDIS drivers?
B-9.  +Can I use (PC)NFS to mount a diskless PC from a remote server?
B-10.  Can (PC)NFS run over token ring?
B-11.  Can I run PC-NFS with my 3C509 Etherlink III card?
B-12.  Can I run PC-NFS slip at higher baud rates than 9600?
B-13.  Can I access an MSCDEX CD-ROM with PC-NFS?
B-14.  Can I run NDIS over Packet drivers?
B-15. *How does ODI compare to NDIS?

C. Server 

C-1.   What is pcnfsd? What is pcnfsdv2?
C-2.  +Where can I get pcnfsd for my server system?
C-3.  -What is lockd?
C-4.   How can I test NFS performance?
C-5.   What is NHFSSTONES? Where can I get it?
C-6.  -What will help my server increase performance?
C-7.   How many nfsd's & biod's should I run on my server?
C-8.   What is asynchronous I/O? How can I modify my NFS server system to use
       asynchronous I/O?
C-9.   What is a good NFS server?
C-10.  What is LADDIS?
C-11. -What is XRemote & LBX?

D. Applications

D-1.  +Where can I get mail with (PC)NFS?
D-2.   Where can I get news with (PC)NFS?
D-3.   Where can I get an FTP server?
D-4.   Where can I get rwalld for (PC)NFS?   [May be removed, please read]
D-5.   Where can I get a INT-14 redirector for (PC)NFS?
D-6.   Where can I get YPPASSWD for PC-NFS?
D-7.   Where can I get IBM 3270 terminal for (PC)NFS?
D-8.   Where can I get an X-Windows server for (PC)NFS?
D-9.  -Where can I get a calender/scheduling program for (PC)NFS? 
D-10. +Where can I get a database that works with (PC)NFS?
D-11.  Where can I get a WAIS client for (PC)NFS?
D-12. +Where can I get an archie for (PC)NFS?
D-13. +Where can I get a gopher client for (PC)NFS?
D-14. +Where can I get a WWW (World Wide Web) client for (PC)NFS?
D-15.  Where can I get X25 for (PC)NFS?
D-16.  Where can I get NEWGRP.EXE for PC-NFS?
D-17.  Where can I get AUTOCONF for PC-NFS?
D-18.  Where can I get a backup utiliy for (PC)NFS?
D-19.  Which (PC)NFS packages support DNS [named]?
D-20.  Where can I get a traceroute program?
D-21. +Where can I get an LPD program?

E. Problems & General Q&A

E-1.  -How can I load (PC)NFS into DOS high memory?
E-2.   Can I use DNS instead of NIS with PC-NFS?
E-3.   Why do some versions of (PC)NFS not follow symbolic links?
E-4.   PC-NFS v4.0 has trouble with Cntl-S, Cntl-Q.
E-5.   PC-NFS v4.0 has trouble with redrawing the window while in MS-Windows.
E-6.  +PC-NFS v4.0 doesn't allow me to access the local printer when I have
       network printers.
E-7.   I cannot delete any file that PC-NFS makes with a ~ (tilde) in it.
E-8.   PC-NFS says that it cannot open any more files even when the limit in 
       autoexec.bat is set higher.
E-9.   Can (PC)NFS mount file systems which are bigger than 2 GB?
E-10.  What is NFS/TCP? Will it work with my NFS?
E-11. +What is PKTD.SYS? Where can I get it?
E-12.  How can I run Novell Netware (tm) 3.xx at the same time as (PC)NFS
       using NDIS?
E-13. -How many PC's can work with a single PC-NFS server?
E-14.  Is it possible to modify the read & write buffer sizes in (PC)NFS?
E-15.  How can I install Ethernet boards not supported by (PC)NFS?
E-16. *In postscript files I sometimes get a ^D before the header from my
       programs. How do I get rid of it?

F. Programming 

F-1. +Is there a toolkit for (PC)NFS programming? Whats the latest version
      and where can I get it?
F-2.  What is the Windows Sockets API (winsock)? Where can I get it?
F-3.  What is the latest version of the NFS protocol?
F-4.  What happened to version 3 of the NFS protocol?
F-5.  What is the current RPC version? Where can I get it?
F-6.  Where can I get the RPC definition for PCNFSD?
F-7.  What are RFC's? What RFC's describe the NFS protocol? Where can I get
      these RFC's? 
F-8.  How can I tell if a file is NFS mounted from a server?

G.  Product Features Comparisons

G-1. +Driver support comparison chart of different products.
G-2. +Protocol support comparison chart of different products.
G-3. +MS-Windows applications and support chart of different products.
G-4. +Utilities available with different products.
G-5. +Telnet features of different products.
G-6. +TCP/IP package compability with other network protocols.
G-7.  Features of different X-windows products.

H.  Information Sources

H-1.  Chest - Council for Higher Education Software Transfer [UK]
H-2.  X/Open
H-3. +Books
H-4.  Related Papers (published)
H-5. +Popular FTP sites
H-6.  Related FAQ's, USENET lists, mail lists.
H-7. *Glossary.

W.  Third-Party Email Software

W-1.   CliqAccessories		Quadratron Systems
W-2.   Higgins Group Prod sw	Enable Software
W-3.   Linkage			Concentric Technologies
W-4.   OpenMail			Hewlett-Packard
W-5.   PathWay Messenger	The Wollongong Group.
W-6.   PC-Eudora		Qualcomm Software.
W-7.   SelectMail		SunSelect

X.  X-Windows Software

X-1.   eXceed  			Hummingbird Software Ltd.
X-2.   eXcursion  		DEC
X-3.   eXodus  			White Pines Software.
X-4.   Micro X-Lite   		StarNet Communications Corporation.
X-5.   MultiView/X  		JSB Corporation
X-6.   PC-Xware & PC-Xview  	NCD, Inc.
X-7.   PC X-server & PC Link  	XLink
X-8.   PC-Xsight 		Locus Computing Corp.
X-9.   PC DECWindows Motif  	DEC
X-10. -Reflection X		Walker, Richer & Quinn
X-11.  X Appeal			Xtreme s.a.s.	
X-12.  Xoftware  		AGE Logic, Inc.
X-13.  Xvision  		VisionWare Soft, Inc
X-14.  X-windows for OS/2  	IBM

Y.  Other Third Party & Related Software

 Server Products:
Y-1.   eNFS  			INTERSTREAM
Y-2.   Multinet  		TGV, Inc.
Y-3.  -DEC TCP/IP  		Digitial Equipment Corp.
Y-4.  -NHFSSTONE  		Legato
Y-5.  -PrestoServe  		Legato
Y-6.   SOSS 			Rich Braun
Y-7.   TCPWare for VMS  	Process Software Corp.

 Other software:
Y-9.  -WinTrumpet/Trumpet	Peter Tatam.
Y-10. -WinVN 
Y-11. -Cello
Y-12.  MacPPP			

Z. TCP/IP & NFS Products

Z-1.   AIR for Windows  	SPRY, Inc.
Z-2.   BW-NFS  			Beame & Whiteside, Inc.
Z-3.   Chameleon NFS  		NetManage
Z-4.   CU/TCP  			Clarkson University/Rutgers University
Z-5.   Distinct TCP  		Distinct Corp.
Z-6.  -LAN Manager TCP/IP  	Microsoft Corp.
Z-7.   LAN Workplace NFS  	Novell, Inc.
Z-8.   NCSA Telnet  		Nat'l Center for Supercomputing Applications.
Z-9.   NFS/Share  		Intercon, Inc.
Z-10.  NS & ARPA Services  	Hewlett-Packard, Inc.
Z-11. +Pathway Access DOS/Win  	The Wollongong Group.
Z-12.  PathWay Access OS/2	The Wollongong Group.
Z-13.  PC-NFS  			SunSelect Inc.
Z-14.  PC/TCP  			FTP Inc.
Z-15.  Reflection 		Walker Richer & Quinn, Inc.
Z-16.  SuperTCP 		Frontier Technology, Corp.
Z-17.  TCP/IP for DOS  		IBM
Z-18. -TCP/IP for OS/2  	IBM
Z-19.  TCP/Open  		Lanera Corp.
Z-20.  TTCP  			Turbosoft Pte. Ltd.
Z-21.  WATTCP			Erick Engelke
Z-22.  WinQVT  			QPC Software, Inc.

Z-23. *Fusion 			Pacific Softworks, Inc.
Z-24. *PathWay Access for Mac	The Wollongong Group.
Z-25. *ICE/TCP			James River Group
Z-26. *Piper/IP			IPswitch, Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-1.  What topics does this FAQ cover?

This Frequently Asked Questions list covers questions on commonly available
NFS products and related products and topics running on PC systems and
Macintosh systems. The original section of topics has increased so much that
I've expanded them into separate sections as well. The topics now covered
are:  

        A. Basics - general questions on what NFS, (PC)NFS, & TCP/IP are.
        B. Setup  - questions on setting up these products
        C. Server - questions on the PCNFSD server & server system
		    administration 
        D. Applications - commercial and public-domain applications which
                    will work with these systems.
        E. Problems & General Q&A - questions, problems and general info on 
                    (PC)NFS maintainence.
        F. Programming - Programming toolkit and NFS & RPC related
                    programming questions.
	G. Product Features Comparions - This compares the features of
		    the TCP/IP packages.
	H. Information Sources - This is a list of organizations or sources
	    	    of information on NFS, XDR, Winsock, lists, etc.
	W. Third Party Email - This is a list of commercial and shareware
		    email packages
	X. Xwindows Packages - This is a list of commercial Xwindows
		    software 
	Y. Third Party & Related Software - Third party products such as
		    server software, news, etc.
        Z. TCP/IP & NFS products - Commercial and public domain/shareware
		    TCP/IP & NFS products.

NOTE: Throughout this document all vendors are referred to by their entry
      number in section Z, eg.
            Z-X refers to entry X in section Z.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-2.  Where can I get this FAQ?

This FAQ is available on the USENET newsgroup, posted once in every two
weeks and also on the following FTP sites:
	seagull.rtd.com: /pub/tcpip/pcnfs.FAQ
	ftp.york.ac.uk: /pcnfs/FAQ/pcnfs.FAQ

As of August:
	bcm.tmc.edu: /nfs
	src.doc.ic.ac.uk
	ftpserver.massey.ac.nz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-3.  Who helped write this FAQ? 

The information in the FAQ is a collection generated from my personal
knowledge and with the help of the following people who I'm very grateful
to: 

Geoff Arnold	([email-masked])		Sun Microsystems
Farid Rahmi	([email-masked])		        Sunbim (?)
Marty Udescci	([email-masked])		The Wollongong Group
Chip Sparling	([email-masked])			FTP Software
Fred Whiteside	([email-masked])			Beame & Whiteside 
C. J. Sacksteder, et. al.  ([email-masked])	Penn State Univ.
Dean 		([email-masked])		Frontier Tech.
Winifred Crowther				Beame & Whiteside
Kenneth Adelman	([email-masked])		TGV, Inc.
Bruce Miller	([email-masked])		TGV, Inc.
John Keyes	([email-masked])	Sun Microsystems
Vernon Schryver	([email-masked])			SGI, Inc.
Marc Wiz	([email-masked])		IBM Corp. (The Core Group)
Dave Fetrow	([email-masked]) Univ. of Washington
Fritz Mueller	([email-masked])		NetManage, Inc.
Zvi Alon	([email-masked])		NetManage, Inc.
Brian Pawlowski	([email-masked])	Sun Microsystems
Edmund J. Sutcliffe	([email-masked])	Univ. of York
Erick Engelke	-				Independent
Giovanni Novelli 				Xtreme s.a.s
Danny Thomas     ([email-masked])	Independent
Thomas Dwyer III ([email-masked])		Independent
Geert Jan de Groot      ([email-masked])	Philips
Francis K. Selkirk      ([email-masked])		ftp Software Inc.
Alan Arndt	 ([email-masked])		Comtech Labs
Gavin Longmuir   ([email-masked])     Australian Nat'l Univ.
George Brad Weiner      ([email-masked])		AGE Logic, Inc.
George Stump					The Wollongong Group, Inc.
Bob MacFadgen	([email-masked])		Ipswitch, Inc.

Special thanks to:
Edmund Sutcliffe & the University of York for providing an FTP site and his
endless help.

Geoff Arnold for placing the FAQ on the comp.protocols.nfs FTP sites.

C.J.Sacksteder for allowing the use of portions of his document,
"Features of TCP/IP Packages for DOS and Windows" 

Brian Pawlowski for allowing the use of his list of bibliographic entries on
papers for NFS, XDR, and RPC.

To any others that I may have forgotten, you have the right to look me up
in Tucson and demand a beer out of me. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-4.  Who maintains this FAQ?

This FAQ is maintained by Rawn Shah. Any additions, clarifications,
modifications and other changes to the FAQ should be directed to me. You can
reach me at any of the following addresses (in order of preferrence):
        [email-masked]
        [email-masked]

You can also contact me at the following postal address:

Rawn Shah
RTD Systems & Networking, Inc.
2601 N. Campbell Ste 202B, 
Tucson, AZ 85719
USA

or the following US phone numbers: 
Phone: (602) 318-0696
FAX:   (602) 318-0695

This FAQ list may not be modified or redistributed under any other name
other than that reserved by the author. You may reproduce the FAQ and
distribute it freely as long as you maintain the original author. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        
*-5.  Who maintains comp.protocols.nfs?

This is an unmoderated USENET newsgroup although there are regular posters
who will be able to help with your questions related to (PC)NFS products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-6.  Where are the archives for comp.protocols.nfs?

The archives for comp.protocols.nfs are kept at the following FTP sites:
	bcm.tmc.edu
	src.doc.ic.ac.uk
	ftpserver.massey.ac.nz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-7.  Trademarks and Registered names.

AppleTalk, LocalTalk and Macintosh are registered trademarks and MacX and
  A/UX are trademarks of Apple Computer Corp. 
VMS, and OpenVMS are registered trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.
ONC, NFS, NIS & PC-NFS are registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems
  Computer Corp. 
PC/TCP and Interdrive are trademarks of FTP Software Inc.
BW-TCP and BW-NFS are trademarks of Beame & Whiteside Software, Ltd.
IBM, IBM PC, AIX & OS/2 are registered trademarks and LAN Server is a
  trademark  of International Business Machines, Inc. 
Chameleon, ChameleonNFS and Newt are trademarks of NetManage Corp.
DEC, VMS, OpenVMS, DECnet are registered trademarks and eXcursion and
  DECwindows are trademarks of Digital Equipment Corporation 
TSSNet is a trademark of Thursby Software Systems, Inc.
PathWay, PathWay Access & PathWay Client NFS are trademarks of The
  Wollongong Group 
SuperTCP is a trademark of Frontier Technologies, Inc.
XVision is a trademark of VisionWare Software Ltd., UK.
eNFS is a trademark of INTERSTREAM, Inc.
AIR is a trademark of SPRY, Inc.
ODI and LAN WorkPlace are trademarks of Novell, Inc.
NDIS, MS-DOS and MS-Windows are registered trademarks and LAN Manager is a
  trademark of Microsoft Corp.
MOTIF is a trademark of the Open Software Foundation, Inc.
WINQVT/NET and WINQVT/NFS are trademarks of QPC Software Corp.
HCL-eXceed, HCL-eXceed Plus, and HCL-eXtend are trademarks of Hummingbird
 Software, Ltd.
TCPOpen is a trademark of Lanera Corp.
UNIX is a trademark of Unix Systems Laboratories
Multinet is a trademark of TGV, Inc.
PC-Xware & PC-Xview are trademarks of NCD, Inc.
PC-Xsight is a trademark of Locus Computing Corp.
Multiview/X is a trademark of JSB Corporation
PC X-server & PC-Link are trademarks of XLink Corp.
eXodus is a trademark of White Pines Software.
CU/TCP is a trademark of Clarkson University and Rutgers University
NCSA Telnet is a trademark of the National Center for Supercomputing
  Applications.
Micro X-Lite is a trademark of StarNet Communications Corp.
AIR is a trademark of SPRY, Inc.
ICE.TCP is a trademark of the James River Group, Inc.
Piper/IP is a trademark of Ipswitch, Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-8.  What do the -, + and * before the questions mean?

The - is used to signify that the question is out of date or has no
information related with it.

The + is used to signify that the question has been recently updated with
new information or corrections have been made to the answer.

The * signifies the question as a new one as of the current FAQ version

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*-9.  Whats up and coming in the next issue of the FAQ list?

The FAQ is expanding at good rate and I'm still waiting for it to level off.
Coming issues should include:
	- a few more TCP products (VxDTCP, DLink, etc)
	- a better description of NFS 3 once I finish reading it.
	- Cello, trumpet, MacWAIS, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Basics
=========

A-1.  What is NFS?

Network File System (NFS) is file system that will mount remote file systems
across homogenous and heterogenous systems. NFS consists of a client and
server systems. An NFS server can export local directories for remote NFS
clients to use. NFS runs over IP using UDP (commonly). There are NFS
implementations that will work using TCP as the network transport service.
NFS was originally developed by Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. (SMCC) and
is now part of their Open Network Computing (ONC) initiative. NFS has been
accepted by the IETF in certain RFC's (see question F-X) as a standard for
file services on TCP/IP networks on the Internet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-2.  What is (PC)NFS?

(PC)NFS is a generic term referring to all NFS systems running on IBM PC and
compatible systems as well as other Personal Computer systems as defined
upon by the X/Open Group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-3.  Where can I get (PC)NFS for my DOS system?

(PC)NFS for DOS systems is available from the following vendors:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Product Name    Vendor                  Pricing                 Entry
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
AIR		SPRY						Z-1
PC-NFS          SunSelect              *$435                    Z-13
BWNFS           Beame & Whiteside      *$395                    Z-2
PC/TCP          FTP Corp.              *$400                    Z-14
IBM TCP/IP	IBM						Z-17
LAN Manager TCP	Microsoft					Z-6
PathWay         The Wollongong Group   *                        Z-11
SuperTcp        Frontier Tech.         *$495                    Z-16
LAN Workplace	Novell			$			Z-7

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

* means other pricings available see corresponding entry for product in 
  Section Z.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-4.  Where can I get (PC)NFS for my MS-Windows system?

(PC)NFS for MS-Windows is available from the following vendors:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Product Name    Vendor                  Pricing                 Entry
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
AIR		SPRY			$			Z-1
PC-NFS          SunSelect              *$435                    Z-13
BWNFS           Beame & Whiteside      *$349                    Z-2
Distinct 	Distinct Corp.					Z-5
TCPOpen		Lanera Corp.				        Z-19
PC/TCP          FTP Corp.              *$400                    Z-14
PathWay         The Wollongong Group   *                        Z-11
ChameleonNFS    NetManage              *$495                    Z-3
SuperTCP        Frontier Tech.                                  Z-16
WinQVT/Net      QPC Inc.                $40 (shareware)         Z-22
                                        $20 (student)    
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

* other pricings available; see corresponding entry for product in 
  Section Z.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-5.  Where can I get NFS for my Macintosh system?

You can get NFS clients for Macintosh from:
	The Wollongong Group: PathWay NFS [Z-11]
	Intercon: NFS/Share [Z-9]

There are also packages for hardware gateways which will allow Macintosh
systems to NFS drive systems. Cayman systems puts out the GatorShare
software for their GatorBox and GatorStar series which gateway LocalTalk
based Macintosh systems onto an Ethernet and allow IP tunneling inside
Appletalk to reach external systems. GatorShare allows Macintoshs to mount
NFS disks as AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) volumes which are displayed as
remote drives on the Apple Chooser. Shiva & Fallaron have similar gateway
(DDP-IP) systems. 

IPT has a software only system that works in concert with one of the above
mentioned hardware systems that allow Unix systems to export disks as AFP
volumes. IPT's Partner is not in strict sense an NFS system. It implements
Appletalk on Unix systems and exports drives and printers as Appletalk ones.
CAP (Columbia Appletalk) is a public domain package which has similar
services. 

Work is currently in progress to produce a software based DDP-IP package
that will connect LocalTalk Macintoshes through a Mac system with both
LocalTalk & Ethernet interfaces to Ethernet based IP systems. Hopefully the
project will be completed before October. Initial prospects are to
distribute this as shareware.
	       
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-6.  What is PC-NFS as opposed to (PC)NFS?

PC-NFS is a specific NFS product for PC systems from SunSelect. PC-NFS is a
registered trademark and so should NOT be used as a generic term describing
all NFS systems on PC's. (PC)NFS is a generic term describing NFS systems on
PC's as decided upon by the members of X/Open.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-7. What is TCP/IP?

Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is the main
transport protocol used on the Internet for connectivity and transmission of
data across heterogenous systems. It is an open standard which is available
on most Unix systems, VMS and other minicomputer systems, many mainframe &
supercomputing systems and some microcomputer & PC systems. 

TCP/IP is a software solution for network connectivity. There is little
assumption on the hardware system used for actual physical connections. The
most common hardware solution is Ethernet, but TCP/IP will also run on
Token-Ring, AT&T StarLAN, microwave & spread spectrum systems , LocalTalk
(needs a gateway), Serial lines (modems, serial connections) and other
systems as well. 

To run TCP/IP on a system you first need a hardware driver. On Macintosh
systems, the hardware drivers are built into the system or is provided by
the board manufacturer. On a PC system, there are different types of
hardware drivers available both commercially and via public domain/shareware
including the Packet driver specification by FTP Software, Inc., Microsoft's
Network Device Interface Specification (NDIS), & Novell's Open Datalink
Interface (ODI). Drivers for OS/2 systems are available from IBM and/or the
board manufacturer (if they support OS/2).  If a driver is not available for
your hardware, look for a shim. This is a software device which translates
between two driver specifications. There are shims for ODI-on-NDIS,
NDIS-on-Packet driver. ODI-on-Packet driver, etc.  usually publically
available.

You then need a TCP/IP stack. This is package specific usually comes with
every product. Each such stack has its own requirements for hardware
drivers. you must find a combination of driver & TCP/IP stack which is
compatible with your hardware & system. Macintosh's do not have a problem
since most Macintosh systems use the MacTCP stack which is available from
Apple and is provided with most if not all Macintosh TCP/IP packages. PC
systems have something close to a standard in TCP applications called the
Windows Sockets API (Winsock). [Note: This is not specific only to TCP/IP it
is a general standard for networking on PC irrelevant of the transport
protocol. Hence, there may be versions for NetBEUI, IPX, etc.]. The Winsock
API is avaialble in 16 bit and 32 bit versions. The 32 bit versions are for
Windows NT systems. Winsock is implemented in Dynamically Loaded Libraries
or DLLs. Currently work is under way to develop a freeware Winsock DLL but
many commercial versions are available.

With the TCP/IP stack in hand, you then need all the TCP/IP application
programs such as Telnet, FTP, mail, etc. Just about every TCP/IP package has
a corresponding set of applications although some do not provide all the
different applications available.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-8. What is telnet? What is ftp?

Telnet & FTP are two TCP/IP applications for remote host access and remote
file transfer, respectively. Any host with a telnet client can connect to
any host with a telnet server. Any work done within a telnet session is
executed on the server host, thus for most intents and purposes your are on
the remote server, virtually. FTP clients can connect to FTP servers to
transfer files either direction. You can preserve the file contents
independent of the client and server hosts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-9.  What is a client? What is a server? Why do I need them?

A client application uses resources available on a remote site. This remote
site runs a server for this purpose. NFS is a client-server technology. You
need an NFS client to mount remote disks or directories. The server makes
these disks or directories available for other systems to use. For example,
If you have an NFS client on your PC, you can mount remote drives on your 
PC. However, if that PC does not have an NFS server, then you cannot make it
possible for other systems to use your local drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-10.  Where can I get (PC)NFS cheap/free/PD?

There are currently no free or shareware NFS _client_ packages
available. Please read [A-X].

SOSS [Y-6] is a public domain NFS _server_ available by FTP.

There are, however, a few different TCP/IP packages available as shareware
and freeware such as WATTCP, NCSA Telnet, CU/TCP, WinQVT (shareware). Please
see the product list in section Z for appropriate referrences.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-11. What is SOS & SOSS? Where can I get it?

SOS (stan's own server) is the original NFS server developed by See-Mong Tan
and is a public domain nfs server.

SOSS (son of stan's server) is a souped up version of SOS developed by Rich
Braun, et al with better performance capabilities.

SOS is still available although it is advised that you use SOSS when
necessary. SOSS is available at the following site:
	grape.ecs.clarkson.edu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-12.  Are there any free NFS clients available for DOS?

There was once a project at the Univ. of Maryland which made an NFS client
for free distribution but is now no longer available. 

There have also been reports that NCSA Telnet may come out with an NFS
client in the future but so far there hasn't been any further news on that.

There is a client being developed for the WATTCP package by Micheal Durkin.
This will be released as shareware ($15) in executable format only. Source
code may be available depending on the authors preference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-13.  What is SLIP?

Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) is a standard on the Internet for
serial line and modem connectivity between two systems. This allows any one
SLIP client to connect to a SLIP server to provide connectivity between
different IP hosts. Both systems must have TCP/IP stacks running. Certain
SLIP packages even allow the SLIP client to act as a gateway between a local
network and a remote network, ie. all machines on the local network can
connect automatically over the SLIP line to remote systems and vice versa.
SLIP packages are available for PC systems. See G-1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-14.  What is PPP?

PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) is a direct link protocol which works over
serial lines and direct links similar to SLIP. Overall it gets more
throughput than SLIP. The remote host needs to accept PPP connections and
the local host should act as a client. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section B. Basics
=================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-1. What are the different specification types of drivers available?

The following are common specification types of drivers available:

A. Packet drivers - freely available set of drivers on the net maintained by
	ftp Software and also in part by Russell Nelson of Crynwyr.

B. NDIS v2.0 & v3.0 - Network Device Interface Specification developed by
	Microsoft and 3Com. Version 2.0 is the current version for
	MS-Windows and Windows for Workgroups. Version 3.0 is the new
	specification for MS-Windows NT.

C. ODI - Open Driver Interface developed by Novell, Inc. 

D. SLIP, PPP - These are more protocol specifications for serial and
	distance links. Both are defined in the Internet RFCs. PPP is
	described initially in RFC 1172 with related descriptions in 1331-1334,
	1376-1378, and several newer ones. SLIP is described in RFC 1055.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-3.  What are packet drivers? Where do I get them?

Packet drivers are the link between your Network interface card and your
TCP/IP protocol stack (of each application). They are a low level driver
specification with support for many different Network interface cards. 

The packet driver specification is maintained by FTP Software and is
available from:
	vax.ftp.com:/pub/packet-d.*

Russ Nelson of Crynwyr, Inc. ([email-masked]) also maintains many packet
drivers. He also maintains the FAQ available for packet drivers
on comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc. This FAQ can be received by ftp from the
following sites:
	seagull.rtd.com: /pub/tcpip/other-faqs/pktdrv.faq

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-4.  Can I run packet drivers with (PC)NFS?

Yes. See chart G-1 for compatibility with different packages.
	
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-5.  Can I run (PC)NFS over SLIP?

Yes. See chart G-1 for availability in the different products for PC
systems. 

Macintosh systems can run NFS/Share from Intercon with the InterSLIP package
copyrighted & freely distributed by Intercon available from:
	ftp.intercon.com: InterCon/sales/InterSLIP1.0fc3.sea.hqx

This will run with MacTCP 1.1.1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-6.  Can (PC)NFS run with NDIS drivers?

Yes. See chart G-1 for availability in the different products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-7.  Can I run (PC)NFS at the same time as CUTCP or NCSA Telnet?

Yes. You need to run PKTMUX.EXE. This will multiplex connections between two
different applications using packet drivers. PKTMUX allows one to run
multiple TCP/IP protocol stacks.

There is also a version of CUTCP which runs over SunSelect's PC-NFS and is
available via ftp from:
	ftp.york.ac.uk:/pub/pc/pc-nfs/cutcp/CUTCP.ZIP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-8.  Can (PC)NFS run with NDIS drivers?

Yes. Please look at chart G-1 for compatibility with different products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-9.  Can I use (PC)NFS to mount a diskless PC from a remote server?

Yes. The following products have this capability:
	PC-NFS
	PC/TCP
	BW-NFS
	AIR for Windows

PC-NFS can be installed partially onto disk to access network applications
like telnet, ftp, etc. placed on a remote server.

PC/TCP also has PROM chips for ethernet cards for diskless PCs to boot with
network services.

In Europe, BOOTP PROMs are available from Dirk Keoppen [[email-masked]].
These PROMs support a large number of Ethernet cards and works with many
versions of (PC)NFS including that from SunSelect, FTP Software, Novell and
Microsoft LAN Manager.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-10.  Can (PC)NFS run over token ring?

Yes. See chart G-1 for availability in the different products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-11.  Can I use my 3C509 Etherlink III card with (PC)NFS ?

Yes. The 3C509 has both NDIS and ODI drivers shipping with the box. Trouble is
some are not where they are supposed to be. The NDIS drivers are in the following directory on the floppy :

A:\MSLANMAN.DOS\DRIVERS\ETHERNET

Also, a packet driver is obtainable for this card (also see B-1)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-12 Can I PC-NFS SLIP at higher baud rates than 9600 ?

The built-in slip driver will not allow any higher speeds than 9600, but there
is a way around this. Instead of using SLIP.SYS, you can always configure
PC-NFS in packet driver mode (look for the PKTD.SYS shim) and use a shareware
slip driver than conforms to the packet driver specification. Ask archie
about SLIPPER.EXE or ETHERSL.COM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-13 Can I access an MSCDEX CD-ROM with PC-NFS ?

No, but you can fool your PC by using an 'MSCDEX simulator', i.e. a small
utility that will redirect the interrupt used by MSCDEX and return constant
values. Does not work will all the published CD's, but is worth the try.

Mounting an ISO9660 CDROM over NFS is not always sufficient to get full access
to the application residing on it. Some utilies refer to MSCDEX for various
reasons. So, can you use the NFS-mounted volume and still have full MSCDEX
access ? No, but you can fool your PC by using an 'MSCDEX simulator', i.e. a
small utility that will redirect the interrupt used by MSCDEX and return  
constant values. Does not work will all the published CD's, but is worth the 
try. These utils are obtainable from ftp.york.ac.uk (/pub/pc-nfs/CD-rom)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-14.  Can I run NDIS over Packet drivers?

Yes. You can run packet drivers along with the DISPKT9.COM shim and run the
program as a generic NDIS driver. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

B-15.  Which is better NDIS or ODI?

After a small discussion, it seems that ODI is generally faster and it does
not need be to loaded in the config.sys which helps enormously during
debugging and development). 

Both NDIS and ODI are widely available with most Ethernet cards and many
Token-Ring cards as well. 

ODI however has one slight problem when it comes to development. Although it
is an "open" specification and is available via ftp, Russel Nelson of
Crynwyr pointed out that:

Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
"
The documentation for Novell's driver development kit is available
>from dev_docs/lan_drv.  This should not be mistaken for a
specification of an "open" interface.  If you want to write an "ODI
driver" (that is, the thing that adapter manufacturers ship), you
must purchase the Lan Driver Development Kit for $7,000.  When I
suggested to Novell that they should document the LSL <--> MLID
interface, they seemed somewhat bemused, as if to say "Whyever would
you want that?? -- just buy the DDK!"

Apparently, there *is* no "ODI driver" spec -- Novell doesn't even
have an internal document for the LSL <--> MLID interface.
"

You can FTP the NDIS specification from:
	vax.ftp.com

You can FTP the ODI specification from:
	sjf-lwp.sjf.novell.com:/dev_docs/{lan_drv, pstacks}/*
	[email to Dave Murphy [email-masked]]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section C. Server
=================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C-1.  What is pcnfsd? What is pcnfsdv2? What is BWNFSD?

PCNFSD is the server software run on remote systems for service access such
as User authorization and print services. PCNFSD is freely distributed. It
was originally designed for SunSelect's PC-NFS software package but has been
accepted by the X/Open committee as a semi-standard for (PC)NFS.

PCNFSDv2 is the current version of this server software.

BWNFSD is an alternate server package from Beame & Whiteside, Inc. which is
also freely distributable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C-2.  Where can I get PCNFSD for my server system?

PCNFSD has been ported to many different platforms.  The following is a list
of FTP sites for the different versions:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Platform	    	Location
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SunOS 4.x, Solaris,	bcm.tmc.edu				
Solbourne, 		src.doc.ic.ac.uk
NeXTStep		ftp.york.ac.uk:/pun/pv/pc-nfs/RPC.pcnfs/*
Ultrix 4.2		bcm.tmc.edu
IRIX/SYSV		sgi.sgi.com:/support/pcnfsd.sysV    [unsupported]
			ftp.york.ac.uk:/pub/pc/pc-nfs/RPC.pcnfsd/*
AIX 3.2			Call IBM and ask for PTF# U412556
AIX 3.2.1		Call IBM and ask for PTF# U419359
AIX 3.2.3		Call IBM and ask for PTF# U414701
MIPS platforms		ftp.york.ac.uk:/pub/pc/pc-nfs/RPC.pcnfsd/*
IBM MVS			Call IBM and ask for PTF# UY84244 [pcnfsd v1 only]
OpenVMS 5.5		DEC TCP/IP v3.0 [product]
SCO Unix v3.2		SCO NFS [product]
HP 9000 [HP-UX 9.x]	HP-UX NFS [product]
			
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is a combined version of PCNFSD v2 for the following systems: Sun,
Ultrix, MIPS, SGI, BSD, SVR4 which is available from
	ftp.york.ac.uk:/pub/pc-nfs/RPC.pcnfs/pcnfsd.tar.Z

BWNFSD (V3.0f) is available from:

	dorm.rutgers.edu: /pub/msdos/bws/bwnfsd
	ftp.bws.com: /pub/bw/bwnfsd

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------