Subject: PostScript monthly FAQ v2.2 12-26-93 [05-06 of 11]

From: Jonathan Monsarrat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 1994 13:35:36 GMT

Archive-name: postscript/faq/part5-6
Last-modified: 1993/12/26
Version: 2.2

                              -- PostScript -- 

                            Answers to Questions 

                    (the comp.lang.postscript FAQ v2.2) 

                               Jon Monsarrat 

                              [email-masked] 

                     This FAQ is formatted as a digest. 

                Most news readers can skip from one question 

                     to the next by pressing control-G. 

    Changes since the last version are marked with a '|' in the table 
    of contents and in the sections in the text-only format of the FAQ. 

    Now that there is Linux and NetBSD and BSD 386 UNIX IBM PC (and 
    clone) users can run any of the X-windows and UNIX programs in the 
    utilities section. See comp.os.linux. Also, there is now 
    GhostScript for the Macintosh. 

|   Many thanks to Dan Carrigan for reformatting the books and 
|   publishers section. 

    The utilities index from the comp.sources.postscript FAQ will be 
    posted in comp.lang.postscript now too. 

    Please help fix the FAQ! All comments should be mailed to 
    [email-masked]. My favorite way to receive a change suggestion is 
    when it is accompanied by a section of the FAQ that is edited and 
    mailed to me verbatim as an example. If you would like to 
    contribute, please read the section ``about the FAQ'' first. Thank 
    you! 

    Books and programs are referred to by name only. See the book 
    sections for book information, and the comp.sources.postscript FAQ 
    for a full list of all PostScript related programs. I have archived 
    a number of the small utilities in 
    wilma.cs.brown.edu:pub/postscript. You can get the 
    comp.sources.postscript FAQ from 
    wilma.cs.brown.edu:pub/comp.sources.postscript. 

    Related FAQs: comp.text, comp.text.tex, comp.fonts, comp.graphics, 
    comp.sys.mac.apps, comp.sources.postscript. 

Subject: 5 Books 

    There are many good books on PostScript language programming. 
    Descriptions of all known books are listed below. A listing of 
    publisher information follows. 

    The most commonly known books are the ``blue book'', ``big red 
    book'', and ``green book'' from Adobe, to be read in that order. 
    They are nicknamed according for their jacket colors. 

    Other books recommended to me include Thinking in PostScript, 
    which allows its examples to be freely distributed, and PostScript 
    by Example. 

Subject: 5.1 Books 

   Adobe Illustrator - The Expert Advisor Series
        Author        Diane Burns, S. Venit, David Smith
        Publisher     Addison-Wesley, 1989
        ISBN:         0-201-14397-6  $22.95

   Adobe illustrator 3 complete.
        Author        Venit, Sharyn ; et al.
        Publisher     Reading, MA ; Wokingham : Addison-Wesley, c1991 
        Description   ix, 412 p. : [4] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ;
                      24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-57756-9 (pbk.)     $22.45
        Library #     006.6765

   Adobe illustrator 3.0 : the official handbook for designers. 3rd. ed. 
        Author        Bove, Tony ; Fred Davis, Cheryl Rhodes 
        Publisher     New York : Bantam Books, 1991
        Description   xvi, 420 [8] p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm. 
        ISBN:         0-553-35385-3 (pbk.)    $24.95 ($31.95 Can.)
        Library #     Z286. .D47 B66 1991

   The Adobe Illustrator 3.2 : designer's guide 
   (Sybex Macintosh library series)
        Author        Holzgang, David A.
        Publisher     San Francisco : Sybex, c1992
        Description   xviii, 358 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
        ISBN          0-7821-1002-9     $24.95
        Library #     T385 .H674 1992

   Adobe type 1 font format.
   [The Black Book] 
        Author        Adobe Systems Incorporated.
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1990.
        Description   iii, 103 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-57044-0     $14.95 (18.95 Can.)
        Library #     QA76.73 P67 A36 1990
   
        This is the specification for the Type 1 font format. Type 1 
        fonts are the standard outline format found in Adobe PostScript 
        printers, implementations of the Display PostScript system, and 
        available as download able fonts from the Adobe Type Library. 
        This document describes the syntax of the Adobe Type 1 font  
        format, including complete information regarding hints, encoding 
        of character outlines, and the charstring and eexec encryption 
        algorithms. 

|  Apple LaserWriter reference : for the LaserWriter, LaserWriter Plus, 
|  LaserWriter IINT and IINTX.
|       Author        Apple Computer 
|       Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1988 
|       Description   xv, 167 p. ; 24 cm.
|       ISBN          0-201-19258-6     $19.95 
|       Library #     TK7887.7 .A66 1988

   Build your own PostScript laser printer and save a bundle. 2nd ed.
        Author        LaBadie, Horace W.
        Publisher     Blue Ridge Summit, PA : TAB Books, 1993
        Description   xviii, 149 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
        ISBN          0-8306-4306-0     $19.60
        Library #     TK7887.7 .L33 1993

   Creating special effects on the Macintosh.
        Author        Holzgang, David A.
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1992
        Description   xx, 471 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
                      + one computer disk (3 1/2 in.)
        ISBN          0-201-57779-8     $28.95 ($37.95 Can.)
        Library #     Z52.5 M28 H64 1991

   Design essentials.
        Author        Cohen, Luanne Seymour ; et al.
        Publisher     Mountain View, CA : Adobe Press, c1992
        Description   vii, 102 p. : ill. (some col.) 23 x 31 cm.
                      + 3-D viewing glasses inserted. 
                      At head of title: Professional studio techniques.
        ISBN          0-672-48538-9     $39.95 ($49.95 Can.)
        Library #     T385 .D473 1992.

   Design Techniques with Adobe Illustrator
        Author        Linda Miles, Betty Wilson
        Publisher     Sams, 1992
        ISBN          0-672-30205-5      $39.95

   Display PostScript programming.
        Author        Holzgang, David A.
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison Wesley, c1990 
        Description   x, 406 p. : ill. 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-51814-7     $24.95
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 H63 1990

   Encapsulated PostScript : application guide for the
   Macintosh and PC's.
        Author        Vollenweider, Peter
        Publisher     New York ; London : Prentice Hall 1990 
        Description   xvii, 226 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
                      Translated from German
        ISBN          0-13-275-843-1 (pbk.)     $16.95
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 V65 1990
   
        The book's focus is EPS. However, it is an excellent book full 
        of actual real life PostScript and Encapsulated PostScript 
        applications on Macs, PCs, UNIX, IBM mainframe, and other 
        computer systems. 

|  Expert advisor : Adobe Illustrator.
|  (The Addison-Wesley expert advisor series)
|       Author        Burns, Diane ; S. Venit, David Smith 
|       Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1988
|       Description   ix, 350 p., [4] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ;
|                     24 cm. 
|       ISBN          0-201-14397-6     $22.95 
|       Library #     T385 .B864 1989

   Graphic design with PostScript.
        Author        Kunkel, Gerard 
        Publisher     Glenview, IL :Scott, Foresman, c1990 
        Description   
        ISBN          0-673-38794-1     $29.95
        Library #     Z286 .D47 K87 1990

   Halftoning with Adobe Accurate Screens
        Author        Peter Fink
        Publisher     Hayden, 1992
        ISBN          ???    $29.95

   Hands-on PostScript.
        Author        Spring, Michael B. ; David S. Dubin 
        Publisher     Carmel IN, : Hayden Books, c1992 
        Description   xx, 431 p. ; 24 cm.
                      + one computer disk (3 1/2 in.)
        ISBN          0-672-30185-7     $29.95 ($37.95 Can.)
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 S67 1992
   
        This is an introduction to PostScript for the novice or casual 
        user. PostScript programming principles are introduced in the 
        context of useful projects (e.g. greeting cards, letterhead, 
        multi-page posters). The book includes five PostScript driver 
        projects in Basic, Pascal, and C. A 3.5" DOS formatted diskette 
        is included with all the source code. It does not cover 
        PostScript level 2. 

|  Illustration techniques with Adobe illustrator for windows.
|       Author        Miles, Linda ; Betty Wilson
|       Publisher     Carmel, IN : Hayden, c1992
|       Description   xxviii, 323 p., [16] p. of plates : ill. 
|                     (some col.) ; 23 cm.
|                     + one computer disk (3 1/2 in.)
|       ISBN          0-672-30205-5     $39.95
|       Library #     006.6869

   Inside the Apple LaserWriter 
        Author        Hart, Roger
        Publisher     Glenview, IL : Scott, Foresman, c1989 
        Description   xvii, 293 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-673-38064-5 
        Library #     TK7887.7 .H38 1989

   Inside PostScript.
        Author        Braswell, Frank Merritt
        Publisher     Berkeley, CA : Peachpit Press c1989 
        Description   various pagings ; 23 cm. 
        ISBN          0-938151-10-X     $37.50
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 B73 1989
        
        Inside PostScript essentially takes one on a tour of the
        standardinternal PostScript code in most printers. The author 
        has worked extensively with an interpreter. (in PostScript 
        terms, no low-level hardware stuff here like cexec and 
        internaldict). 

   Laserwriter Reference
        Author        Apple Computer
        Publisher     Addison-Wesley, 1988
        ISBN          0-201-19258-6   $19.95

   Learning PostScript : a visual approach. 
        Author        Smith, Ross
        Publisher     Berkeley, CA : Peachpit Press, 1990
        Description   various pagings
        ISBN          0-938151-12-6     $ 22.95 
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 S55 1990
   
        Learning PostScript is a tutorial on the PostScript language.
        It is very appealing, very easy to follow and filled with
         examples. Each example occupies two pages. A brief explanation 
        and source code is on the left page, and the resultant print-out
        is on the facing right page. The book starts off very simply for 
        beginners, and covers a lot of material at the end for experts.
        It was written before level 2 PostScript. In the later half of
        the book, a few examples can executed only if an additional disk
        is purchased. The code for LPAVA is $ 20 from Smith Consultants,
        834 Third St., Suite B, Santa Rosa, CA 95404, U.S.A. fax number:
       415-524-9775 

   Linotronic imaging handbook : the desktop publisher's
   guide to high-quality text and images.
        Author        Cavuoto, James ; Stephen Beale 
        Publisher     Torrance, CA : Micro Publishing Press, 1990 
        Description   vi, 217 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm.
        ISBN          0-941845-06-0     $27.95
        Library #     Z253.4 .L56 C387 1990

|  Mastering Adobe illustrator.
|       Author        Holzgang, David A.
|       Publisher     San Francisco : Sybex, c1988
|       Description   xviii, 330 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
|       ISBN          0895884631 (pbk.)
|       Library #     Z286 .D4 H67 1988

   Mastering Adobe Illustrator 88.
        Author        McClelland, Deke ; Craig Danuloff 
        Publisher     [Boulder, CO] : Publishing Resources Inc. ;
                      [Homewood, IL] : Dow Jones Irwin, c1989
        Description   xii, 298, [21] p. : ill ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          1-55623-157-1 (Dow Jones Irwin)     $24.95
        Library #     Z286 .D47 M375 1989

   The official Adobe Photoshop handbook.
        Author        Biedny, David ; Bert Monroy
        Publisher     Toronto ; New York : Bantam Books, 1991 
        Description   xxxviii, 423 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-553-34876-0     $26.95 ($33.95 Can.)
        Library #     QA76.8 .M3  B52 1991

|  PostScript by example.
|       Authors        McGilton, Henry ; Mary Campione 
|       Publisher      Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1992.
|       Description    xviii, 620 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
|       ISBN           0-201-63228-4     $29.95 ($38.95 Can.)
|       Library #      QA76.73 .P67 M34 1992
|   
|       PostScript by example is a tutorial for PostScript people at
|       all levels. It covers level 2 PostScript. The book starts
|       at novice level and works through to Level Two composite fonts,
|       patterns, forms, color, halftones, Display PostScript rectangle
|       operators and text operators. It contains a chapter on practical
|       issues of downloading fonts, talking to printers, and error 
|       handling. 620 pages containing over 500 fragments of PostScript
|       code and over 750 illustrations. A long-awaited ``upgrade''
|       to the Blue Book. 
|       Henry McGilton can be reached by email as [email-masked]. 
|       Mary Campione can be reached by email as [email-masked]. 
|       A disk containing 13,000 lines of PostScript code from the book 
|       can be ordered separately for $ 20 from: Trilithon Software, Two 
|       Ohlone, Portola Valley, CA 94028, U.S.A. 
|   
|       Or, send email to [email-masked]. 

   A postscript cookbook.
        Author        Thomas; Barry 
        Publisher     New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1988. 
        Description   vii, 144 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-442-23686-7     $9.98
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 T48 1988

|  PostScript screening : Adobe accurate screens.
|       Author        Fink, Peter
|       Publisher     Mountain View, CA : Adobe Press, c1992.
|       Description   xvi, 175 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
|       ISBN          0-672-48544-3 (pbk.)
|       Library #     T385 .F55 1992
|   
|       Explains in detail all the issues and specifically covers Adobe 
|       Accurate Screens -- Adobes' own screening technology. Peter Fink 
|       is an expert on the subject of halftone screens as they relate
|       to color issues. 

|  PostScript, Eine Umfassende Einfuhrung in die Programmierung
|       Author        Wilfred Soker
|       Publisher     Vieweg & Sohn Verlag GmbH, Postfach 5829,
|                     D-6200, Wiesbaden 1, Germany
|       ISBN          3-528-14711-3

   PostScript font handbook - a directory of type 1 fonts. Rev. ed.
        Authors       Grosvenor, Jonathan editor ; Kaye Morrison,
                      Alexandia Pim 
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1992. 
        Description   x, 425 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-56893-4     $24.95 ($31.95 Can.)
        Library #     Z250.7 .P67 1992

   PostScript fuer Workstations 
        Author        Vollenweider, Peter  ([email-masked]) 
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, 1992. 
        ISBN          3-89319-459-2 
   
        Dieses Buch ist in Deutsche geschrieben. Es beschreibt
        PostScript fuer Workstations, mit Display PostScript, PostScript 
        2, und Farben. 
        This book is written in German. It describes using PostScript on 
        workstations. It covers Display PostScript, PostScript Level 2, 
        and colors. 

   PostScript Language Program Design.
   [The Green Book]
        Author        Adobe Systems Incorporated ; Glenn Reid
        Publisher     Reading , MA : Addison-Wesley, c1988 
        Description   xii, 224 p. ; 23 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-14396-8 (pbk.)     $22.95
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 R45 1988 
       
        PostScript Language Program Design is intended to teach the
        fundamentals of designing PostScript language programs and
        to show how the language works, so the your programs will be
        fast, well-behaved, easy to understand, and portable. 
        Code Examples: $ 15 from the developer support hotline. Free
        from the Adobe mail server (see Section 6, ``About Adobe''). 

   PostScript Language Reference Manual. 1st ed. 
   [The Old Red Book] 
        Author        Adobe Systems Inc. 
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, 1985. 
        Description   ix, 299 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-10174-2 
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 P67 1986
   
        The first edition of the reference manual. It describes 
        PostScript level 1 only. It is a subset of the PostScript level 
        2 book, but is still more common and costs less. 

   PostScript language reference manual. 2nd ed.
   [The Big Red Book] 
        Author        Adobe Systems Incorporated ; [authors, Ed Taft,
                      Jeff Walden ; editing, Jeff Walden, Paul Engstrom
                      ; illustration Carl Yoshihara, Wendy Ball,
                      Dayna Portfield]
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1990 
        Description   viii 764 p. : ill. 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-18127-4     $28.95 ($37.95 Can.)
        Library       QA76.73 .P67 P67 1990 
   
        PostScript language reference manual is the book that defines
        the PostScript language. The second edition not only defines 
        Level 1 PostScript, but also encompasses the color, composite
        font, file system, and DPS extensions and the PostScript 
        language Level 2. 

   PostScript language tutorial and cookbook.
   [The Blue book]
        Author        Adobe Systems Incorporated 
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison Wesley, 1985
        Description   x, 243 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-10179-3 (pbk.)      $16.95
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 P68 1985 
   
        PostScript language tutorial and cookbook is the most common
        tutorial book on PostScript. It provides an easy, informal
        introduction to the PostScript language and graphics primitives.
        The cookbook is a collection of programs that are offered as 
        examples of PostScript usage. These samples have been chosen 
        both as illustrations of the functional range of PostScript
        and as useful ingredients for inclusion in application packages. 
        Code Examples: $ 15 from the developer support hotline. Free 
        from the Adobe mail server (see Section 6, ``About Adobe''). 

   PostScript programmer's reference guide : featuring PhoenixPage.
        Author        Holzgang, David A.
        Publisher     Glenview, IL : Scott, Foresman, c1989
        Description   x, 486 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
        ISBN          0-673-38574-4     $24.95 
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 H64 1989
   
        An authoritative guide for programmers, developers, or 
        anyone who wants to get the most out of PostScript. It offers 
        clear instructions, a complete language reference section, and a 
        cookbook of hands-on sample routines. (avail for $ 20 extra on 
        disk) ... It includes complete information on PhoenixPage/PS, 
        Phoenix Technologies' fully PostScript-compatible language. 

   Programming the display PostScript system with NeXTSTEP. 
   [The Purple Book] 
        Author        Adobe Systems Incorporated ; [author Ken Fromm] 
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1992
        Description   xxvii, 380 p. ill. ; 22 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-58135-3     $26.95 ($34.95)
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 P76 1991
   
        Written for the NeXT programming environment; however, much of 
        the information it contains applies to all Display PostScript 
        developers. The book explains the language extensions commonly 
        used within applications, describes many of the key aspects of 
        the PostScript language imaging model, and provides a framework 
        for creating Display PostScript language applications. 

   Programming the Display PostScript System with X.
        Author: Adobe Systems Inc. 
        Publisher: Addison-Wesley 
        Cost: $ 26.95 
   
        Written specifically for developers using the X Window System. 
        It is intended to help X application developers improve quality, 
        optimize performance, and minimize development cost. Featuring a 
        Programming Guide with advice on how to write robust, efficient 
        Display PostScript applications, the book also contains a new 
        Toolkit manual and the standard Display PostScript reference 
        manuals. 

   Programming the LaserWriter 
   (Macintosh inside out series)
        Author        Holzgang, David A.
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1991 
        Description   xxv, 439 p. ill. ; 23 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-57068-8     $24.95
        Library #     TK7887.7 .H65 1991

   Rapid reference guide to System 7, the LaserWriter Family, 
   and Hypercard. (Business One Irwin rapid reference series)
        Author        Fraase, Michael  
        Publisher     Homewood, IL : Business One Irwin, c1993
        Description   xx, 282 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
        ISBN          1556239025     $24.95 
        Library #     QA76.76 .O63 F375 1993

   Real world PostScript : techniques from PostScript professionals.
   [The Orange Book]
        Author        Roth, Stephen F., editor
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1988. 
        Description   xiv, 383 p. [4] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 
                      24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-06663-7 (pbk.)     $22.95 
        Library #     Z286 .D47 R4 1988 
   
        A collection of articles dealing with ``real world'' PostScript 
        language issues and specific applications such as font creation,
        color separation, kerning, halftoning, various other topics. 
        It contains a text formatter written in PostScript, and 
        concentrates on doing very sophisticated things with fonts and 
        dictionaries. 
   
        Short overview of chapters: 
   
        PostScript As A Design Tool; PostScript As A Programming 
        Language; Writing Device Independent PostScript; Kerning, 
        Tracking And Letterspacing, Precise Character Bounding Boxes; 
        Building Fonts; Building Smart Fonts; Font Encoding Vector 
        Compatibility; Building A PostScript Typeface; PostScript Color 
        Operations; PostScript Color Separations; A Spread From Graphic 
        Perspective; A PostScript Four-Color Poster; Graphing And 
        Typesetting With PostScript; The Evolution Of A Complex 
        Geometric Logo 

   Running PostScript from MS-DOS. 1st ed.
        Author        Glover, Gary
        Publisher     Blue Ridge Summit, PA : Windcrest, c1989. 
        Description   ix, 209 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
        ISBN          0-8306-2998-X     $21.60
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 G56 1989
   
        Provides a good and brief introduction to PostScript and has 
        lots of useful information on printing PostScript from PCs. 

   Taking advantage of PostScript.
        Author        Sherman, John F. 
        Publisher     Dubuque, IA : Wm. C. Brown Publishers, c1992
        Description   ix, 326 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
        ISBN          0-697-14032-6      
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 S54 1992
   
        Graphically and visually oriented and includes a section 
        on PostScript Level 2. 

|  Terminal Buch, PostScript Fonts und Programmiertechnik
|       Author        Thomas Merz
|       Publisher     R. Oldenburg Verlag, Munchen, Germany
|       ISBN          3-486-21674-0

   Thinking in PostScript.
        Author        Reid, Glenn C.
        Publisher     Reading, MA : Addison-Wesley, c1990
        Description   xiii, 221 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
        ISBN          0-201-52372-8     $22.95 ($29.95 Can.)
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 R46 1990
   
        Guide to developing programming techniques and to learning 
        how to use the PostScript tool kit. In this book you can find 
        some useful techniques even if you think of yourself as an 
        expert PS programmer. It overlaps very little with existing 
        material. You can find there numerous practical examples in all 
        areas of PS language programming, including the Display PS 
        system. In this volume you will also find: (a) never-before-
        published information on the PS language (b) useful algorithms 
        for loops, conditionals, and I/O (c) detailed coverage of files, 
        strings, and dictionaries (d) simple and elegant programming 
        techniques 
   
        The books comes recommended by many. There are also exercises 
        after each Chapter with the results at the end of the book. You 
        can really find examples how to define new useful operators or 
        procedures which you cannot find in the Adobe books. 
   
        To get the examples from the book for free, send email to the 
        author, [email-masked]. 

   Understanding PostScript. 3rd ed.
        Author        Holzgang, David A. 
        Publisher     San Francisco : Sybex, c1992 
        Description   xxxiii, 515 p. : ill. 23 cm.
                      "For PostScript levels 1 & 2"--Cover p. [1]
        ISBN          0-7821-1059-2     $29.95
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 H65 1992

   Understanding PostScript Programming. 2nd ed.
        Author        Holzgang, David A.
        Publisher     San Francisco : Sybex, 1988
        Description   xxxii, 472 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
        ISBN          0-89588-566-2 
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 H65 1988

   The Verbum book of PostScript illustration. 1st ed.
   (The Verbum electronic art & design series.)
        Author        Gosney, Michael ; Linnea Dayton, Janet Ashford
        Publisher     Redwood City, CA : M&T Books, 1990 
        Description   vii, 213 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
        ISBN          1-55851-089-3     $29.95
        Library #     QA76.73 .P67 G57 1990

Subject: 5.2 Publishers 

    Most of the above books should be available in any big bookstore 
    that has a computer section. Or contact the publishers: 

    Addison-Wesley, 
      Retail Sales Group, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc., One 
      Jacob Way, Reading, MA 01867, U.S.A. Phone 800-447-2226 or 
      617-944-3700, Fax 617-942-1117. 

    Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 
      2200 Powell Street, Emeryville, California 94608 U.S.A. Phone 
      (510) 601-4000 

    Adobe Press 
      , Adobe Systems, Inc. 1585 Charleston Road, Mountain View, CA 
      94039, Phone 415-961-4400. Toll free 800-833-6687. Adobe Press is 
      partially a misnomer, it is not a independent publishing unit but 
      more like a customer or documentation service of Adobe Systems, 
      Inc. The Red, Blue, Green, and Black Books can be purchased from 
      Adobe Systems by calling toll free, 800-83-FONTS (800-833-6687). 

|   Busn One Irvin 
|     , Business 1 Irvin, Division of Richard D. Irvin, Inc. 1818 Ridge 
|     Road, Homewood IL, 60430. Phone 708-798-6000. Toll free 
|     800-634-3966. Imprint: Pub. by Dow Jones (Dow Jones Books). 

    Bantam 
      , Bantam Books, Inc. Division of Bantam Doubleday Dell. 666 Fifth 
      Avenue, New York, NY 10103. Phone 212-765-6500. Toll free 
      800-223-6834. 

    Dow Jones Irvin 
      See Busn One Irvin. 

    Hayden Books, 
      Imprint of Sams. 

    M & T Bks, 
      M & T Books. 501 Galveston Drive, Redwood City, CA 94063-4728. 
      Phone 415-366-3600. Toll free 800-533-4372 ; 800-356-2002. 

    Micro Publishing Press 
      21150 Hawthorne Boulevard, Suite 104, Torrance, California 90503 
      U.S.A. Phone 213-371-5787. 

    Peachpit Press, 
      1085 Keith Ave., Berkeley, CA 94708, U.S.A. Phone 415-527-8555. 
      Toll free 800-283-9444. 

    Prentice Hall, 
      Prentice Hall Press. Division of Simon Schuster, Inc. 15 Columbus 
      Circle, New York, NY 10023. Phone 201-767-5937. Toll free 
      800-223-2348. Orders to: 200 Old Tappan Road, Old Tappan, NJ 
      07675. 

    Sams, 
      Division of Macmillan Computer Publishing. 11711 North College 
      Avenue, Suite 140, Carmel, IN 46032. Phone 317-573-2500. Toll 
      free 800-257-5755. Orders to Macmillan Computer Publishing, 8219 
      Northwest Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN 46278. Imprint: Hayden 
      Books 

    Scott, Foresman and Company, 
      Subsidiary of HarperCollins Publishing Co. 1900 East Lake Avenue, 
      Glenview, IL 60025. Phone 708-729-3000. 

|   Sybex, Inc. 
|     2021 Challenger Drive, Alameda, CA 94501. Phone 415-523-8223. 
|     Toll free 800-227-2346. Imprint: Sybex Computer Books 

    TAB Books, 
      Division of McGraw-Hill Inc. P.O. Box 40, Blue Ridge Summit, PA 
      17294-0850. Phone 717-794-2191. Toll free 800-822-8138 ; 
      800-233-1128. Imprint: Windcrest Books 

    Windcrest Books 
      Imprint of TAB Books. 

    Van Nostrand Reinhold, 
      Division of Thomson Publishing Corp. 115 Fifth Avenue, New York, 
      NY, 10003. Phone 212-254-3232. Toll free 800-926-2664. Orders to: 
      7625 Empire Dr., Florence, KY 41022. Phone 606-525-6600 

|   Wm C Brown, 
|     Brown, William C. Publishing. 2460 Kerper Boulevard, Dubuque, IA 
|     52001. Phone 319-588-1451. Toll free 800-338-5578. 

Subject: 6 About Adobe 

    PostScript was created by Adobe Systems Incorporated, which offers 
    information and sells programs pertaining to PostScript. 

    Currently the only large PostScript company that I have information 
    on is Adobe. I would be happy to include information about others. 

Subject: 6.1 How do I get in touch with Adobe? 

  Adobe Systems Incorporated      Main phone: +1-415-961-4400
  1585 Charleston Road            Main FAX:   +1-415-961-3769
  P.O. Box 7900
  Mountain View, CA 94039-7900

    If you want technical help using Adobe retail products (e.g. ATM, 
    Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Fonts): Adobe forum on CompuServe, call 
    1-408-986-6500 (for Macintosh) or 1-408-986-6530 (for Windows, 
    Unix) Also use this number to report bugs in retail products. Adobe 
    also has an automated tech support line, which will fax technical 
    notes and product literature to you, and attempt to answer common 
    questions via a menu-driven system. That number is 1-800-235-0078. 

    For sales information on Adobe retail products (prices, catalogues, 
    etc.), call +1-800-235-0078 (fax-back brochures) or +1-800-833-6687 
    (applications sales) 

    The Developer's Hotline is +1-415-961-4111 (Voicemail) (note: 
    members have priority, but they'll take questions from general 
    public.) Also use this number for information about the ADA or 
    Adobe SDK's. 

    To suggest product enhancements, write or fax to ``Product Manger, 
    product name' at address above. 

    In Europe: Adobe Systems BV, Europlaza, Hoogoorddreef 51a, 1101 BE 
    Amsterdam Z-O, NETHERLANDS. TEL +31-20-65-11-200. FAX 
    +31-20-65-11-300. 

    In the eastern United States: Adobe Sys. Inc., 24 New England 
    Executive Park, Burlington MA 01803. TEL +1-617-273-2120. FAX 
    +1-617-273-2336. 

    In Japan: Adobe Systems Japan, Swiss Bank House, 4-1-8 Toranomon, 
    Minato ku, Tokyo 105 JAPAN. TEL +81-3-3437-8950. FAX 
    +81-3-3437-8968. 

Subject: 6.2 What can Adobe do for me? 

    Adobe is just one of many companies producing products for 
    PostScript, but it does produce a lot of the best. 

    Adobe offers two resources for software developers. 

   1. Membership in the Adobe Developers Association (ADA) ( $ 
      195/year) 

   2. PostScript Language Software Development Kit (SDK) ( $ 500, $ 250 
      for ADA) 

    The Developer's Association is Adobe's way of knowing who has a 
    serious interest in technical information. Membership includes 
    monthly technical newsletter, phone technical support, discounts on 
    software and hardware. Membership is $ 195/year for each 
    individual. 

    The PostScript Language Software Development Kits collect all 
    Adobe's technical literature for a given platform into a single 
    package. There are four versions, for the Mac, MS-DOS/Windows, 
    NeXTStep, and X/Windows. Each SDK is $ 500 list, $ 250 for ADA 
    members. 

    A selection of free technical documents is available from Adobe's 
    file server and anonymous ftp archive (ftp.adobe.com). It includes 
    specs (including the aforementioned EPS specification), some tech 
    notes, sample programs, a large collection of AFM files and PPD 
    files. For more information on the file server, send the one-word 
|   message ``help'' to [email-masked]. These documents are 
|   also available by mail, although they are not necessarily free; 
    call the Developers Line and ask for the documents catalog. 

    The contents of both ps-file-server and the ftp archive are 
    nominally the same, although they are currently maintained on two 
    separate machines.