Subject: computer-security/security-patches FAQ

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Klaus)
Date: 29 Apr 1994 18:38:50 -0400

Archive-name: computer-security/security-patches 
Posting-frequency: monthly
Last-modified: 1994/28/04
Version: 0.1

	Security Patches FAQ for your System: The Complete List

	As new systems become accessible by networks there is a need for
security.  Many systems are shipped by default insecure which puts the
responsibility on the customers to get and apply patches.  This FAQ will be a
guide for the many administrators who want to secure their systems.

	This FAQ will be broken down into the different sections:
1) Type of Operating System and its Vulnerabilities.
2) Particular Vulnerabilities (ie. rdist and sendmail)

	This is an alpha version.

1) Type of Operating System and its Vulnerabilities

Sun Microsystems, Inc.  SunOS 4.0.3/4.1/4.1.1 

	Patches may be obtained via anonymous ftp from ftp.uu.net (in the
sun-dist directory) or from local Sun Answer Centers worldwide.

100075-09	rpc.lockd jumbo patch
100103-11	script to change file permissions to a more secure mode
100170-09	jumbo-patch ld-1.144 shared LD_LIBRARY_PATH -Bstatic SPARCworks
100173-09	NFS Jumbo Patch
100178-07	netd "broken server detection" breaks on fast machines
100249-04	automounter jumbo patch
100272-07	dump,in.comsat,syslogd,in.talkd,shutdown,write utmp writable
100283-03	in.routed mishandles gateways, multiple routes
100296-04	netgroup exports to world
100296-04       rpc.mountd exports to the world
100305-09	lpd can be used to delete any file on the system
100305-13       lpr package
100338-05	system crashes with assertion failed panic
100342-03	NIS client needs long recovery time if server reboots
100359-06	streams jumbo patch
100377-05	Sendmail.mx doesn't recognize wildcard, forward, uid's > 32767
100377-07       sendmail + sendmail.mx
100383-05	rdist security enhancement
100383-06       rdist can be used to get root access
100421-03       rpc.rexd does not log appropriate accounting messages
100448-01       loadmodule security problem
100482-03	ypserv sends maps to anyone who guesses domainname
100482-04       ypxfrd exporting NIS maps to everybody
100507-04	tmpfs jumbo patch
100527-03	rsh uses old-style selects instead of 4.0 selects
100536-02	NFS can cause panic: assertion failed crashes
100557-02	ftp Jumbo patch
100564-03	C2 Jumbo patch
100567-03	mfree panic due to mbuf being freed twice
100593-03	dump,in.comsat,syslogd,in.talkd,shutdown,write utmp writable
100623-02	UFS jumbo patch
100909-02	dump,in.comsat,syslogd,in.talkd,shutdown,write utmp writable
101480-01	dump,in.comsat,syslogd,in.talkd,shutdown,write utmp writable
101481-01	dump,in.comsat,syslogd,in.talkd,shutdown,write utmp writable
101482-01	dump,in.comsat,syslogd,in.talkd,shutdown,write utmp writable

Patch the following:

Turn off IP Forwarding

Turn off Source Routings

Turn on NFS Priv Port Checking

Remove /dev/nit

2) Particular Vulnerabilities

Sendmail Patches

        SunOS 5.x       101077-06
        SunOS 4.1.x     100377-07

Rdist Patches

Apollo Domain/OS SR10.3 and SR10.3.5 (Fixed in SR10.4)

a88k PD92_P0316
m68k PD92_M0384

Cray Research, Inc. UNICOS 6.0/6.E/6.1  Field Alert #132   SPR 47600

IBM  RS/6000 AIX levels 3005, 2006, 2007, and 3.2  apar ix23738
Patches may be obtained by calling Customer Support at 1-800-237-5511.

MIPS  RISCos versions 4.50 through 4.52 (not required for 5.0)
      Patches are available via anonymous ftp at ftp.mips.com.
      The file is /pub/rdist.CERT.tar.

NeXT Computer, Inc.  NeXTstep Release 2.x
     Rdist available on the public NeXT FTP archives.

Silicon Graphics   IRIX 3.3.x/4.0 (fixed in 4.0.1)
        Patches may be obtained via anonymous ftp from sgi.com in the
        sgi/rdist directory.

Solbourne	OS/MP 4.1A	Patch ID P911121003

Sun Microsystems, Inc.  SunOS 4.0.3/4.1/4.1.1  Patch ID 100383-03

Copyright

This paper is Copyright (c) 1994 by Christopher Klaus

	Permission is hereby granted to give away free copies.  You may 
distribute, transfer, or spread this paper.  You may not pretend that you
wrote it.  This copyright notice must be maintained in any copy made.  

Disclaimer

	The information within this paper may change without notice. Use of
this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition.
There are NO warranties with regard to this information. In no event shall
the author be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in
connection with the use or spread of this information.  Any use of this
information is at the user's own risk.

Address of Author

	Please send suggestions, updates, and comments to:	
 
	Christopher Klaus <[email-masked]>

-- 
Christopher William Klaus  <[email-masked]>  <[email-masked]>
Internet Security Systems, Inc.   
2209 Summit Place Drive,Dunwoody 
GA 30350-2430. (404)998-5871.