Subject: Fax/Modems: Practical Peripherals "PractiFAQ"
From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 May 1994 10:32:36 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems,comp.dcom.fax,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: modems/practical-peripherals-FAQ
Last-modified: 1994/01/04
Version: 1.03

Practical Peripherals Frequently Asked Questions
Compiled by Shag ([email-masked])
Revision 1.03, January 4, 1994

This document seeks to provide accurate answers to Frequently Asked
Questions about PPI (Practical Peripherals, Inc.) modems, faxmodems, and
other products.  Information contained herein isn't guaranteed to be the
best or latest available, but has been compiled from several sources,
including PPI's own catalog and information services.  Please send
questions regarding this FAQ, questions you would like included in this
FAQ, and suggestions or corrections for this FAQ to the address above.
Posting frequency should be about once a month, for those who keep track.

*************************************************************************
* This file is NOT officially sanctioned by PPI.  The prices listed are *
* suggested prices, and retail prices are usually considerably lower.   *
* Thanks go out to PPI's tech support, the maintainers of the PractiFAX *
* service at PPI, and especially Paul, Yvonne, and Gene at PPI Online   *
* Support, for the debugging and update information.                    *
*************************************************************************

----------

Contents of this FAQ:

        What's new in this revision?
	What's PPI?
	How can I contact PPI?
	What if I live in Canada?
	What V.FC (V.Fast Class) 28800bps products does PPI offer?
	Will PPI be supporting the V.34 standard, known as "V.FAST?"
	Does PPI offer any network or rack-mount products?
	Does PPI offer any products for use in Europe and Asia?
	What external modems and faxmodems does PPI offer?
	Why does the PM14000FXSA cost so much more than the PM14400FXMT?
	What internal modems does PPI offer for my PC?
	What are the differences between all these 2400bps units?
	What faxmodems does PPI offer for my portable computer?
	What other products does PPI offer?
	Will I need a high-speed UART to use my PPI modem with my PC?
	What software comes with PPI modems?
	What are the current EPROM versions for 14400bps faxmodems?
	My modem is buggy, how can I get an EPROM revision?
	What's this about data pumps?
	How do I find out which data pump I have?
	What do all the different Fax terms mean?
	What kind of warranty and support does PPI offer?
	Does PPI offer Caller ID support?
	Does PPI offer Distinctive Ring Detection?
        Will PPI be supporting the V.34 standard, known as "V.FAST?"
	Why does the CD light on my PPI 14400bps faxmodem blink?
	How can I display the help screens on my PPI 14400bps faxmodem?
	Why is my PPI 14000bps faxmodem so reluctant to hang up?
	Where can I get a PPI modem configuration file for my BBS?
	Are there any PPI SIGs on BBS networks?

----------

What's new in this revision?

	Information has been added regarding the following topics:
		PPI's new V.FC (V.Fast Class) 28800bps modems.
		Planned support for the V.34 (V.FAST) 28800bps protocol.
		PPI's new rack-mount and network products.
		PPI's new products for international use.
		PractiCARD compatibility-tested systems.
		Current 14400bps faxmodem EPROM versions.
		14400bps faxmodem ATI3 data pump return codes.
	Information has been removed regarding the following topics:
		Printer buffers no longer listed by PPI.

What's PPI?

	PPI is Practical Peripherals, Inc., a manufacturer of computer
	peripherals.  PPI is known particularly for modems and faxmodems.
	The company is a fairly autonomous subsidiary of Hayes, and
	generally offers lower-priced units than the Hayes brand.

How can I contact PPI?

	Practical Peripherals, Inc.
	375 Conejo Ridge Avenue
	Thousand Oaks, CA 91361

	(805) 497-4774	Corporate Headquarters (yes, 4774 spells 4-PPI)
	(800) 442-4774	U.S. Sales Office
	(800) 537-2291	Canadian Sales Office
	(805) 496-7707	Tech Support and Upgrades
	(805) 374-7200	General/Sales FAX
	(805) 374-7216	Tech Support FAX
	(805) 496-4445	PPI BBS
	(800) 225-4774	PractiFAX

What if I live in Canada?

	In Canada, PPI is represented by:
	Keating Technologies, Inc.
	25 Royal Crest Court, Suite 200
	Markham, Ontario L3R 9X4

	(800) 565-3284	Sales
	(416) 479-0230	Corporate Headquarters
	(416) 479-0232	FAX

What V.FC (V.Fast Class) 28800bps products does PPI offer?

	PPI introduced the first three members of its PM288 family of
        modems based on Rockwell's V.FC interim protocol at Fall Comdex
        in mid-November of 1993.  This protocol, short for V.FAST Class,
        supports data speeds of 28000bps, with fallbacks to 26400bps,
	24000bps, 21600bps, 19200bps, 16800bps, and 14400bps.  The units
	also support the V.32bis protocol for speeds up to 14400bps.
	Computer-to-modem DTE speeds up to 115200bps are supported, and
	all three modems support 14400bps faxing.
	The PM288LCD is a stand-alone modem with a 3-line LCD which
	displays 30 modem functions including time of day, fax page
	count, actual throughput, caller ID strings, and status messages.
        Front-panel control buttons allow menu navigation.  The Hayes
	compatible unit supports caller ID, asynchronous and synchronous
        operation, and includes an external speaker volume control.
        At only 4.2" deep, the unit has a much smaller footprint than
        its predecessor, the PM14400FXSA.
        The PM288HC internal half-card modem for PC-compatible
        computers is based on a 16550 UART to enhance background and
        multitasking performance.
        The PM288PKT pocket modem weighs only 4.2 ounces, and includes
        8 LEDs, a speaker, 2 RJ-11 ports, a serial cable, 4-AA battery
        pack, a plug-in AC adapter, and a leather carrying case.
        All three units support Class 1 and 2 FAX, distinctive ring
        detection, Hayes AutoSync, alphanumeric telephone number
        translation, and DTE speeds up to 115,200 bps.  On-line help is
        included in ROM, and the modems are covered by PPI's lifetime
        warranty.  These modems are expected to ship for PC's and Macs
        in early 1994.  Pricing and additional specs will be available
        shortly from PPI.

Will PPI be supporting the V.34 standard, known as "V.FAST?"

        When the V.34 or "V.FAST" protocol is finalized by the ITU-T
	next year, PPI plans to support it fully, and will probably
	offer upgrades for existing 28800bps V.FC modems.  No upgrade
	price has been determined yet, as the price of a new V.FAST
	unit may be so low as to make upgrades economically infeasible.
	It's highly unlikely that the 14400bps V.32bis modems will be
	upgradeable to V.FC or V.34, since the technology is different.

Does PPI offer any network or rack-mount products?

	PPI introduced a line of rack-mount products at the Fall 1993
	Comdex show, including racks, modems, and a LAN fax server.
	The PM288RC is a rack-mount 28800bps V.FC (V.Fast Class) modem
	with 14400bps send-receive fax, designed for use in PPI racks.
	The PM144RC is a rack-mount 14400bps V.32bis modem with 14400bps
	send-receive fax, designed for use in PPI racks.
	The PR16 is an EIA 19-inch metal rack with a display and control
	panel and 16 rack modem slots.
	The PR8 is a desktop rack assembly with 8 rack modem slots.
	The PR4 is a rack assembly with display and control panel and 4
	modem slots.
	The PR4NFS is a Novell Netware network fax server in a desktop
	assembly with a display and control panel and 4 modem slots.
        Pricing and additional specs will be available shortly from PPI.

Does PPI offer any products for use in Europe and Asia?

	PPI recently introduced its line of international modems, which
	are external models similar to those available for use in North
	America, but are designed for compatibility with electrical and
	telecommunication systems throughout Europe and Asia.
	The PM28800SAi is a V.FC (V.Fast Class) modem with 14400bps
	send-receive fax capabilities.
	The PM14400SAi is a V.32bis modem with 14400bps fax capabilities.
	The PM9600SAi is a V.32 modem with 9600bps fax capabilities.
        Pricing and additional specs will be available shortly from PPI.

What external modems and faxmodems does PPI currently offer?

	PPI offers a variety of external modems and faxmodems which can
	be connected to just about any computer with an RS-232 port.
	These units are primarily aimed at IBM-compatible PC's and Apple
	Macintoshes, and most are available for either system.  The
	Macintosh ones cost a bit more but include the special cabling
	necessary for use on the Macintosh.  Price sheets are available
	from PPI's PractiFAX service, and the prices at the beginning
	of Fall 1993 were:

	Model Name	US$	CAN$  MAC US$  MAC CAN$
        PM14400FXSA     549     659	579	695
	PM14400FXMT	299	379	299	399
        PM9600FXMT      249     329	269	369
	PM2400EFXSA	169	195	189	229
	PM2400FX96SA	149	179	159	189
	PM2400F Mini	119	143	 -	 -
	PM2400SA	 89	129	119	179

Why does the PM14000FXSA cost so much more than the PM14400FXMT?

	The PM14400FXSA includes a 12-character LCD display - in addition
	to the 10 LED's which the PM14400FXMT also offers - and uses an
	AT&T data pump, mounted on a factory-upgradable daughterboard,
	rather than the PM14400FXMT's single-board Rockwell design.  The
	PM14400FXSA was introduced several months before the PM14000FXMT,
	at which time prices for 14400bps modems were markedly higher.

What internal modems does PPI currently offer for my PC?

	PPI offers several modems which are compatible with ISA-bus PC's
	and one which is compatible with MCA-bus PS/2's and PC's.  These
	units can not be used with Apple Macintosh computers, and do not
	offer LED or LCD readouts.  The prices on PractiFAX at the
	beginning of Fall 1993 were:

	Model Name	Bus	US$	CAN$
	PM14400FX	ISA 	259	349
	PM14400FXPS/2	MCA 	599	719
	PM9600FX	ISA 	229	319
	PM2400EFX	ISA 	159	189
	PM2400FX	ISA 	139	167
	PM2400F		ISA 	99	119
	PM2400		ISA 	79	99.95

What are the differences between all these 2400bps units?

	The PM2400 and PM2400SA are plain 2400bps modems.  The PM2400F
	series offers 9600bps send and 4800bps receive Fax capabilities.
	The PM2400FX and PM2400FX96SA offer 9600bps send and receive Fax.
	And finally, the PM2400EFX series offers 9600bps send and receive
	Fax, V.42 error correction, and V.42bis compression.  Pretty
	complex?  Here it is in chart form.

	Model Name	Data	Fax S	Fax R	V.42	V.42bis
	PM2400/SA	2400	 N       N       N       N
	PM2400F/Mini	2400	9600	4800	 *	 *
	PM2400FX/96SA	2400	9600	9600	 *	 *
	PM2400EFX/SA	2400	9600	9600	 Y	 Y

	* These units offer V.42 and V.42bis support through software,
	  via a Rockwell trick.  This usually only works with the DOS
	  software shipped with the product, so Macintosh mileage may
	  vary.

What faxmodems does PPI currently offer for my portable computer?

	PPI offers three faxmodems designed for use with portable
	computers.  The PM2400FPPM plugs directly into the serial port
	on a PC, and offers the same capabilities as the PM2400F/Mini
	listed above.  The PM14400FXPKT, a PC Magazine Editor's Choice,
        is available for either PC or Macintosh, and includes a leather
        carrying case and the proper cables to connect it to the system.
        The recently introduced PractiCARD 144 works with PC-compatible
	computers with standard PCMCIA v2.0 type 2 (or 3) slots, and has
	been tested for compatibility with the following units:
		AST	PowerExec 4/25 and 3/25S
		Dell	325Sli
		HP	LX-100 Palmtop and OMNIBOOK 300
		IBM	ThinkPad 750C and PS/NOTE
		NCR	3170
		NEC	UltraLite Versa 20
		Sharp	PC-6785
		Toshiba T3300SL, T1900, T4600C and T4500
		Zenith	Z-Lite
	It uses software power management to consume less than 20
	milliwatts of power in sleep mode. Prices on PractiFAX at the
        beginning of Fall 1993 were:

	Model Name	US$	CAN$  Mac US$  Mac CAN$
	PractiCARD 144	449	649	 -	 -
        PM14400FXPKT    499     599	529	719
	PM2400FPPM	159	189	 -	 -

What other products does PPI offer?

	PPI also offers the FaxMe cartridge for HP LaserJet II and III
	printers, and the Microbuffer Universal 16 printer buffer.  The
	FaxME cartridge allows LaserJets to receive faxes directly, and
	the Microbuffer Universal 16 is a printer buffer which comes
	with 32kb RAM installed and can be expanded to 16Mb RAM.  Prices
	on PractiFAX at the beginning of Fall 1993 were:

	Model Name	US$	CAN$
	FaxMe		159	199
	Universal 16	259	311

Will I need a high-speed UART to use my PPI modem with my PC?

	A high-speed buffered UART chip such as the NS16550AFN will
	improve your data transfer speeds if you are using a 9600bps or
	14400bps modem with your terminal software set at speeds above
	9600bps.  All PPI internal 14400bps modems (including the new
	PractiCARD) and 28800bps modems contain 16550 chips.  If you
        have an external modem, you'll need a serial port card with a
        16550 chip.

What software comes with PPI modems?

	PPI modems for PC's ship with Smith Micro Software's QuickLink
	II/FAX software for use with DOS and MS-Windows.  PPI modems for
        Macs ship with QuickLink II for Mac.  When new versions of the
        software are released, PPI provides them as free upgrades to
        current users.

What are the current EPROM versions for 14400bps faxmodems?

	Early-model PM14400FXHC and PM14400FXSA modems with the	non-V.17
	AT&T data pump use EPROM v1.23.
	Late-model PM14400FXHC and PM14400FXSA modems with V.17 AT&T or
	Rockwell data pumps and all PM14400FXMT modems use EPROM v2.17.
	PM14400FX PKT pocket modems use EPROM v2.16 or v2.17.

My modem is buggy, how can I get an EPROM revision?

	If you have an old EPROM version with bugs which have been fixed
	in a more recent version, you can call tech-support at the number
	listed above and request the new EPROM.  They will send it to
	you, with instructions on how to install it in your modem.  If
	you call after working hours, you can leave a message and the
	EPROM will be shipped the next day.  PPI will include a return
	envelope for you to send back your old EPROM, postage is about 50
	cents, and you should do so after you're sure the new one works.
	There is no charge for EPROM upgrades unless they add functions
	to the modem, but if you don't have problems, there's not really
	any need to upgrade.

What's this about data pumps?

	When the PM14400FX, PM14400FXSA, and PM14400FXPKT were first
	introduced, an AT&T data pump (mounted on a daughterboard) was
	selected, which did not support V.17 14400bps fax.  At that point
	in time (and to an extent, even today), the competing Rockwell
	integrated chipset had a reputation for a somewhat flawed
	implementation of the V.32bis 14000bps data protocol, which
	caused trouble connecting to some other brands of modems.
	Currently, all PPI's 14400bps units use either a newer version of
	the AT&T pump, which supports V.17, or the integrated Rockwell
	chip, which reportedly is less buggy now.  Early models of the
	PM14400FX and PM14400FXSA can be upgraded by to the newer AT&T
	pump by swapping the daughterboard and EPROM.  This costs $99 and
	has to be done by PPI.  If you have the newer data pump, but an
	old (1.xx) EPROM, you can get the new (2.17, currently) EPROM for
	$29.

How do I find out which data pump I have?

	You can find out which data pump is in your PPI 14400bps faxmodem
	by sending the command ATI3 to the modem.  An informational
	string will be displayed, including a 3-character code for the
	pump.  The second character is the manufacturer, the third
	character is the revision.  For example, [1A3] indicates an old
	AT&T pump, [MA4] indicates a new V.17 one.  [6R1] indicates a
	Rockwell pump.

What do all the different Fax terms mean?

	"Group 3" is the general designation for faxes that can handle
	transfers at speeds of at least 9600bps.  "Class 1" faxmodems
	cannot automatically sense whether incoming calls are data or
	fax calls.  "Class 2" faxmodems can automatically sense this.
	If you like standard numbers, V.27ter is the 2400/4800bps fax
	standard, V.29 is the 9600bps one, and V.17 is the 14400bps one.
	PPI's faxmodems support all those which would be expected.

What kind of warranty and support does PPI offer?

	As of October 12, 1991, all PPI modems and printer buffers are
	covered by lifetime warranties which provide free factory repair
	or replacement of products suffering from damage not caused by
	the user.  Reportedly, this warranty even covers lightning
	strikes.  Batteries and battery packs are, of course, not
	covered.  PPI also offers telephone technical support, a support
	BBS, the PractiFAX 1-800 fax-back support service, and PPIFORUM
	on CompuServe.

Does PPI offer Caller ID support?

	All the current 14400bps faxmodems using the 2-series EPROMS
	support the single-message Caller ID format.  The multi-message
	format is not supported.  All the modems in the new PM288 family
	also support Caller ID.

Does PPI offer Distinctive Ring Detection?

	The PractiCARD 144 PCMCIA modem offers Distinctive Ring
	Detection already, and it may be added to PPI's other 14400bps
	faxmodems in future EPROM revisions.  All the modems in the new
	PM288 family support Distinctive Ring Detection.

Why does the CD light on my PPI 14400bps faxmodem blink?

	A blinking CD light indicates that the carrier signal quality has
	changed, and the modem may be renegotiating the carrier speed.
	This takes several seconds, usually.  Under some circumstances,
	the process may disrupt file transfers, but normal typing and
	communication should not be disrupted.  If your modem is a
	PM14400FXSA, the LCD display will inform you that a retrain is in
	process.

How can I display the help screens on my PPI 14400bps faxmodem?

	The AT$H command will display the multi-screen command summary.
	The ATI6 command will display information about your current, or
	most recent, connection.

Why is my PPI 14000bps faxmodem so reluctant to hang up?

	In your modem's configuration, register S10 contains a setting
	(from 1-255 in tenths of a second) that determines how long the
	modem will wait after carrier is lost, to see whether the carrier
	comes back.  In situations where the line is very noisy, this can
	be quite convenient.  However, if you have call-waiting and want
	calls to disconnect you for some reason, it can be a problem.
	Setting the delay to a shorter period might help, but in some
	cases, the modem will just keep doing what it thinks is right -
	stubbornly maintaining that connection.  PPI tech support hasn't
	said anything about a definite fix.

Where can I get a PPI modem configuration file for my BBS?

	Check with the PPI support BBS.  If your system is a WWIV BBS,
	you can get a PM14400FXSA configuration file from The Sandman,
	1@3462, or a PM14400FXMT configuration file from Aldur, 1@3314.

Are there any PPI SIGs on BBS networks?

	WWIVnet's PPI SIG is hosted by The Sand Castle, node 3462.

----------