Subject: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), part 2 of 3
From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,alt.winsock,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: ibmpc-tcp-ip-faq/part2

comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc:
FAQ Posting, part 2, 8/1/94

########## QUICKIE Guide to Useful Stuff ##########

Drivers

Packet drivers: file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/pktd11.zip
                file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/pktd11c.zip
Packet specs:   file://vax.ftp.com/pub/packet-d.ascii
NDIS specs:     file://vax.ftp.com/pub/ndis-mac.v101.txt
                file://vax.ftp.com/pub/ndis-mac.v201.txt
ODI driver info:     
                ftp://sjf-lwp.novell.com/anonymous/dev_docs/lan_drv/ 
ODI Protocol stack info: 
                file://sjf-lwp.novell.com/anonymous/dev_docs/pstacks/
Slipper:        file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/slipper/slipper.zip
PKTMUX:         file://dorm.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/pktmux12.exe
EtherPPP:       file://merit.edu/pub/ppp/etherppp.zip
GoSLIP:	        file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/goslip11.zip
ODIPKT:         file://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/odipkt/odipkt.com
Config file:    file://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/odipkt/net.cfg
Readme file:    file://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/odipkt/readme

Winsock Applications
 
Trumpet Winsock:
                file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpwsk/winsock.zip
                file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/winsock/winsock.zip
                file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpwsk/winapps.zip
                file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/winsock/winapps.zip
Trumpet Newsreader: 
                file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/wintrumpet/wtwsk10z.zip
HGopher:        file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/hgopher2.4.zip
Voice Chat:     file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/IVC10.ZIP
PCEudora:       file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/eudora14.exe
WinFTP:	        file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/winftp.zip
WinTalk:	file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/wtalk11.zip
GoSLIP:	        file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/goslip11.zip
3270:           file://ftp.ccs.queensu.ca/pub/msdos/tcpip/qws-3270.zip
PhWIN:	        file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/phwin22.zip
FTP client:     file://ftp.usma.edu/pub/msdos/winsock.files/ws_ftp.zip
EINet WAIS:     file://ftp.einet.net/einet/pc/EWAIS200.ZIP
Finger:         file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/finger31.zip
Dialer:         file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/util/dialexe.zip
WinQVTNet:      ftp://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/qvtnet/
Mosaic:         file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Mosaic/wmos20a5.zip, win32s.zip, readme.now
WinTelnet:      file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Telnet/windows/executables/wtel1b1.zip
MPEG Viewer:    file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Mosaic/viewers/mpegw32c.zip
Windows Quicktime:    
                file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/movies/qtwplay.zip
Windows sound player:    
                file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/audio/wnplny09b.zip
Cello:          file://ftp.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/cello.zip, cellofaq.zip
Viewers:        file://ftp.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/viewers.zip
Windows W3 server:        
                file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/serweb03.zip
JPEG Viewer:    file://ftp.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/lview31.zip
GIF Viewer:     file://ftp.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/wingif14.zip
Wham viewer:    file://ftp.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/wham131.zip
Ghostscript:    file://ftp.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/gswin.zip
X Windows Demo: file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/uploads/xwindemo.zip

Windows NT servers

W3 server:      file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/https/HSI386.ZIP
WAIS server:    ftp://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/waistool
Gopher server:  file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/gophers/GSI386.ZIP
FTP server:     file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/nt-ftpd.zip

DOS Applications

Minuet:         file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/minuet/latest/minuarc.exe, 
                file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/minuet/latest/install.txt
PC-Pine:        file://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/PC-PINE/pcpine_p.zip
NCSA Telnet:    file://merit.edu/pub/ppp/pc/ncsappp.zip
KA9Q:           file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos11c.exe,
                file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos11c.txt, 
                file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos192.txt
NOS View:       file://ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/nosview/nosvw304.zip
NUPOP:          ftp://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/nupop/nupop201
Minuet:         file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/minuet/minuarc.exe
PC Pine:        file://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/pcpine_p.zip
NCSA Telnet:    file://mer.edu/pub/ppp/ncsappp.zip
 
############################################################

RESOURCE LISTING

Key

Downright speculation = I have not used this product personally, nor 
has anyone I know.  However, the specifications sounded interesting, 
so it's included.

Suggestion = I have not used this enough to pass judgement, but it 
has come to me recommended by someone I respect.

Recommendation = I use this package regularly, and like it.

BOOKS

Downright speculation
NOSIntro - An Introduction to the KA9Q Network Operating System
Price: 11.50 Pounds sterling, plus postage and handling.
U.S. price, including shipping:  17.34 pounds sterling

This book by Ian Wade (author of NOSView) thoroughly covers
KA9Q. Publisher is Dowermain, 356 pages, 35 chapters, 6 appendices,
illustrated. ISBN 1-897649-00-2.

Dowermain, Ltd., 7 Daubeney Close, Harlington, DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, 
LU5 6NF, United Kingdom, mailto:[email-masked]. Written orders only, 
no U.S. distributor yet.

Recommendation
InfoPOP - Guide to Internet Resources	Free

InfoPOP/Windows is a smallish guide to the Internet in the form of a 
Windows Help application. InfoPOP/DOS is a TSR with the same content. 

Available via ftp://gmuvax2.gmu.edu/, or gopher://fenwick.gmu.edu/ 
 Computers/Info-Technology/Software
  |___under Software available on this  Gopher

 MAILING LISTS

Windows Sockets

mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

W3 for Windows

mailto:[email-masked], with

         sub cello-l your full name

in the body of the message. 

Firewalls

mailto:[email-masked], with
        sub firewalls-digest 

in the body of the message. Back issues
are available at ftp.greatcircle.com:/pub/firewalls.digest/vNN.nMMM.Z
where NN is the volume number and MMM is the issue number. 

SNMPv1 list

mailto:[email-masked], subject: subscribe, 
body: [email-masked]

SNMPv2 list

mailto:[email-masked], subject: subscribe, 
body: [email-masked]

Novell mailing list

mailto:[email-masked]
body: subscribe NOVELL <Your Full Name>

CUTCP mailing list

mailto:[email-masked]
body: sub cutcp-l <Your Full Name>

PUBLICLY DISTRIBUTABLE SOFTWARE

Key

Recommendation = I use, or have used this software or 
equipment, and I like it. 

Suggestion = I have not used this software, but it has been 
recommended to me by people that I trust. 

Downright Speculation = Neither myself nor anyone I know 
has used this, but it claims to offer interesting 
capabilities, so it's included. 

If you don't have access to FTP, you can retrieve the 
files via e-mail, using the following mail servers: 

FTPmail

mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

For information on how to do this, put "help" in
the body of the message. 

BITFTP (available to BITNET users only)

mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]
mailto:[email-masked]

DRIVERS AND SHIMS

Recommendation
Crynwr drivers	free
Support	Contact Crynwr for info	

The Crynwr drivers, formerly known as the Clarkson University 
CUTCP drivers, are created by Russ Nelson of Crynwr Software, 
which sells packet and other driver support. The Crynwr 
drivers support many Ethernet adapter boards, including 
those from 3COM, Telesystems, AT&T, Digital, Mitel, HP, 
BICC, NCR, Novell, Interlan, MICOM, Racal/Interlan, NTI, 
Tiara, Ungermann-Bass, and Western Digital. 

The Packet Driver Specification v1.09 is available via:
file://vax.ftp.com/pub/packet-d.ascii, 
file://vax.ftp.com/pub/ppacket-d.mss

PC-NFS drivers available in
file://ftp.sun.soe.clarkson.edu/pub/packet-drivers/compat.zip 
(requires Sun's PC-NFS).

The drivers, currently in release 11 are available at:
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/pktd11.zip (executables)
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/pktd11a.zip (sources)
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/pktdt11b.zip (sources)
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/pktd11c.zip (executables)
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/pktd11.zip (additional executables and sources)

Crynwr Software, 11 Grant St., Potsdam, NY 13676, 
(315)268-1925, fax: (315)268-9201, mailto:[email-masked]

*Downright speculation
Drivers for Western Digital Ethernet Boards free

Available as:
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.2/SimTel/msdos/lan/wdpost.zip

Recommendation
NDIS Drivers	free

Libraries of free NDIS drivers for DOS and OS/2 are 
available at FTP Software, Inc. at
file://vax.ftp.com/ndis/ndis.txt. Another source of 
NDIS drivers is the Windows for Workgroups package.  
New drivers are available for download from Microsoft 
Product Support Services, available at (206)936-MSDL, 
or on CompuServe or GEnie. The Windows Driver LIbrary (WDL), 
which includes printer, display and network drivers is also 
available on disk from Microsoft by calling (800)426-9400. 

The NDIS spec is available as:
file://vax.ftp.com/pub/ndis-mac.v101.txt, 
file://vax.ftp.com/pub/ndis-mac.v201.txt

Suggestion
SLIPPER v1.3	Free
CSLIPPER	Free

SLIPPER and CSLIPPER get rave reviews for being less 
obtrusive than some other SLIP/CSLIP drivers so that 
the machine loses fewer clock ticks. The result is 
that the clock stays more accurate. SLIP/CSLIP operation 
is supported at up to 57.6 Kbps on a 486. CSLIPPER is a 
version which supports Van Jacobson header compression. 
Supports PKTMUX. 

SLIPPER is available from: 
file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/slipper/slipper.zip
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/slipper/slippr13.zip

CSLIPPER is available from:  
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/slipper/cslipper.exe

P. Tattam, Programmer; Psychology Department, University of 
Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 61-02-202346;  
mailto:[email-masked]

Recommendation
ETHERPPP	Free

Glenn McGregor, formerly of Merit Network, has released 
ETHERPPP, a PPP packet driver that simulates a class 
1 (Ethernet) packet driver. It works well enough, is 
simple to configure, but takes up too much RAM (121K).  
Available as: file://merit.edu/pub/ppp/etherppp.zip

Recommendation
PKTMUX v1.2	Free

This program allows multiple TCP/IP protocol stacks to 
use a single packet driver. It can also run over shims 
such as DIS_PKT; I have used it with four or more 
simultaneous DOS-based applications. Works great. However, 
if you are only using a single DOS TCP/IP application 
under Windows, use WINPKT instead, since it takes less 
memory and is faster. 

Available via file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/pktmux12.exe,
or file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/dos/pktmux12.exe, 
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/dos/pktmux12.txt

Downright speculation
ODITRPKT v2.0

Supports packet drivers over ODI and token ring. 
Available as file://datacomm.ucc.okstate.edu/pub/oditrpkt/BETA12.ZIP

Recommendation
WINPKT	free

WINPKT is needed for running DOS applications with 
built-in TCP/IP stacks under Windows, as well as for 
some Windows-based TCP/IP stacks (suck as Trumpet 
Winsock). Compatible with ODIPKT. 
Available at file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/slip/dos/winpkt.com

Downright speculation
PKTINT

PKTINT is included with the non-Winsock-compatible version 
of WinQVT/Net to communicate with the real mode packet driver. 
Available at file://biochemistry.micro.umn.edu/pub/qvtnet/qvtne397.zip

*Recommendation
DIS_PKT	free

Provides a packet driver over an NDIS driver. This is useful 
when you need to run both packet driver software (such as 
KA9Q or NCSA Telnet) and NDIS-based software (such as Chameleon NFS).
The latest version works with WFW v3.11, and includes a help file
WFW.TXT with sample PROTOCOL.INI files, etc.  

Available via:
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/qvtnet/dis_pkt9.zip
file://netlab.usu.edu/novell.dir/dis_pkt9.zip

Suggestion
PDEther v1.03

Supports ODI over packet drivers. Although I haven't had much 
success with it, others have used it on thousands of machines 
and found it better than ODIPKT, especially under Windows. 
Available as:
file://sjf-lwp.novell.com/odi/pdether/getpde103.zip

*Recommendation
Odipkt v3.0

Supports packet drivers over ODI. This is the recommended 
method of getting Novell NetWare to coexist with a packet-driver 
based TCP/IP stack. Compatible with WINPKT. 

Available as file://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/odipkt/odipkt.com,  
file://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/odipkt/net.cfg, 
file://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/odipkt/odipkt.8, 
file://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/odipkt/odipkt.asm.  

Recommendation
CIRA RARP server	Free

This is a RARP server that runs under DOS, and can give 
out an IP address from a pool. 

Available as file://pine.circa.ufl.edu/pc/rarp/rarp.zip.

Recommendation
RARP client	Free

This is a RARP client that can store the retrieved IP 
address in a DOS environmental variable, for later 
substitution into a file.   

Available as file://pine.circa.ufl.edu/pc/rarpset.zip. 

Recommendation
BOOTPQ v1.2	Free

BOOTPQ is a BOOTP client that can take an IP address 
extracted via BOOTP and put it into a DOS environmental 
variable. 

Available as file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/dos/bootpq12.zip

Recommendation
BOOTP	Free

A bootp server available via 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/dos/bootp.zip or 
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/bootp.zip

WINDOWS SOCKETS IMPLEMENTATIONS

Recommendation
Trumpet WinSock
	
A shareware version of Windows Sockets that runs over packet 
drivers and requires WINPKT. Available as:
file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/winsock/twsk10a.zip, 
file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/winsock/winapps.zip, or  
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpwsk/twsk10a.zip,
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpwsk/winapps.zip

P. Tattam, Programmer; Psychology Department, University of 
Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 61-02-202346; 
mailto:[email-masked]

Recommendation
Dialer

DIALER is a Windows program that will dial up a host and then 
run a series of WIndows applications. It isn't needed with 
Trumpet Winsock anymore, since this now has its own built-in 
scripting language. Available at: 
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/util/dialexe.zip

Recommendation
Chameleon Demo       Free

This is a a demonstration version of the NetManage Chameleon 
TCP/IP stack. Quoting from the install instructions:
To install the software, copy each .zip file onto a 
separate floppy. Insert diskette #1 into drive A: 
type win a:setup (assuming you have the installation 
floppy in the A drive).  You will be prompted for all 
the other relevant information (i.e. adapter type, IP 
address, subnetmask, etc.).  You can use Custom to 
configure some optional information (i.e. default 
gateway, DNS server, etc.). During the installation 
you will be prompted for a serial number. The valid 
serial number is DEMO_520045343970001, and the Key is F39B.
The included software is only valid for 30 days from 
March 3, 1994.  So, some time in April you'll get a 
license violation message, at which time you are 
supposed to run out and purchase a legal copy (we 
will not object to purchases prior to the expiration day).
The winsock.dll provided in this release is compatible 
with the Windows Sockets version 1.1 specification.  
If you find any problems, please send your e-mail to 
[email-masked].  Actually, we want to hear 
from you even if you don't have any problems. Ò

Available at: file://ftp.netmanage.com/pub/winsock/chameln1.zip,
file://ftp.netmanage.com/pub/winsock/chameln2.zip, 
file://ftp.netmanage.com/pub/winsock/chameln3.zip,
file://ftp.netmanage.com/pub/winsock/chameln4.zip, 
file://ftp.netmanage.com/pub/winsock/readme.txt

Downright Speculation
VxDTCP
	
A shareware version of Windows Sockets, running over NDIS, 
and implemented as a VxD driver. Available at: 
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/wintcp/vxdtcpa2.zip

Downright Speculation
Microsoft TCP/IP for WFW 3.11
	
Adds TCP/IP to WFW 3.11. Available as:  
file://ftp.microsoft.com/Advsys/MSclient/WFW/WFWTCP.EXE, 
file://ftp.microsoft.com/Advsys/MSclient/WFW/README.TXT

WINDOWS SOCKETS COMPATIBLE APPLICATIONS

*Recommendation
Windows Mosaic v2.0a5	free

The Internet's Swiss army knife: supports hypertext links, 
font styles, embedded pictures, sounds, and movies. An amazing 
application. Compatible with Windows Sockets. Version 2.0 
supports forms, clickable regions within pictures. 

Please note: Since Mosaic is now a 32-bit app,
unless you are running Windows NT, you must install Win32s 
(available from ftp.microsoft.com) in order to run Mosaic. Also,
make sure you get the viewers for sounds, JPEG, and MPEG. 
Available at:
file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Mosaic/wmos20a5.zip, 
file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Mosaic/win32s.zip, 
file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Mosaic/readme.now (Windows Mosaic) 

GIF viewer: 
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/image/wingif14.zip
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/image/gv.zip

JPEG viewer: 
file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Mosaic/viewers/lview31.zip
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/image/lview31.zip
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/image/jview090.zip

MPEG viewer: 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/dos/mpeg2.zip
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/movies/mpeg2.zip

Windows Quicktime: 
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/movies/qtwplay.zip 

Sound player: 
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/viewers/audio/wnplny09b.zip

Downright Speculation
WinIRX	free

A Windows Sockets program that makes it easier to search 
or retrieve from the National Center for Biotechnology 
Information (NCBI) Retrieve Email server. Available via:
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/dos/win-irx.zip, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/dos/win-irx.txt. 

*Recommendation
PCEudora v1.42	Free	

The Windows version of Eudora, compatible with Windows Sockets. 
Handles SMTP, POP3. This is the nicest TCP/IP mail client 
available anywhere.  To be able to send and receive file 
enclosures, make sure to obtain BINHEX.EXE. The lastest
version now runs under Windows NT. 

Available at:

ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/quest/eudora/windows/1.4/beta
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/eudora14.exe (PC Eudora)
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/binhex/binhex.exe (BINHEX)

Qualcomm, sales: mailto:[email-masked], bug reports:
mailto:[email-masked], (800)238-3672

Suggestion
Trumpet Telnet v0.5

A Windows Sockets compatible Telnet implementation. Available at:
file:/petros.psychol.utas.edu.au/pub/trumpet/trmptel/trmptel.exe 

Downright speculation
WinTimeSync

A Windows Sockets-compatible implementation of NTP. Available at:
file://ftphost.cac.washington.edu/pub/winsock/tsync1_4.zip

*Downright speculation
WinTalk v1.1

A Windows Sockets-compatible implementation of Ntalk and Talk. Available at:
file://elf.com/pub/wintalk/wtalk11.zip
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/wtalk11.zip

Downright speculation
Windows Telnet beta 3	free

An unsupported Telnet implemenation for Windows. Windows Sockets compatible.
Available at:
file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Telnet/windows/wintelb3.zip 

*Recommendation
WinFTP

A Windows Sockets-compatible FTP client, with a 32 bit version available,
written by [email-masked]. Available via:
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/winftp.zip
file://cnuce-arch.cnr.it/pub/msdos/win3/winsock/winftp.zip

A non-blocking version is available via:
file://lahiri.chrr.ohio-state.edu/?/wsaftp.zip

*Downright speculation
PhWin

Windows implementation of Ph. Available at:
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/phwin22.zip

Suggestion
WS-FTP client	free

This is a graphical FTP implementation by John A. Junod. Available at:
file://ftp.usma.edu/pub/msdos/winsock.files/ws_ftp.zip (executable)
file://ftp.usma.edu/pub/msdos/winsock.files/ws_ftp_s.zip (source code)
file://microdyne.com/pub/incoming/ws_ftp.zip
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/ws_ftp.zip

John Junod; mailto:[email-masked]; mailto:[email-masked]
NCOIC, Technology Integration Branch, Computer Science School, 
FT Gordon, GA 30905; (706)791-3245  AV:780-3245

Downright Speculation
USGS WAIS Client

A Windows WAIS client, available at: 
file://ridgisd.er.usgs.gov/software/wais/wwais23.zip. 

Downright Speculation
WAIS Manager

A Windows WAIS client, now compatible with Windows 
Sockets, available at: 
file://ftp.cnidr.org/pub/NIDR.tools/wais/pc/windows/waisman3.zip

Jim Fullton, UNC Office of Information Technology, Computing 
Systems Development Group, (919)962-9107; email: mailto:[email-masked].

*Recommendation
EINet winWAIS v2.04	shareware, $35

The most mature Windows WAIS client,  Windows Sockets-compatible. Available at:
file://ftp.einet.net/einet/pc/EWAIS204.ZIP or 
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/ewais204.zip

EINet Windows Shareware, MCC, 3500 West Balcones Center Drive, 
Austin, TX 78759-6509

*Downright Speculation
Internet Voice Chat v1.0

This is a program that allow voice conversations over the Internet. It
even supports an answering machine and call screening!
Requires WinSock 1.1, a sound card with microphone, and 386 or better.
Available at:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/IVC10.ZIP
file://www.unb.ca/pub/winsock/IVC10.ZIP
file://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/winsock/IVC10.ZIP

Recommendation
Windows IRC

This is a Windows IRC client, available as:
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/trumpet/irc/winirc.exe, 
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/trumpet/irc/winirc.doc

*Downright Speculation
WS-IRC
Shareware

A really nice shareware Windows IRC client, available as:
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/wsirc13a.zip
Also available on ftp://cs.bu.edu/, ftp://winftp.cica.indiana.edu/ 
ftp://ftp.undernet.org/, ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/

Recommendation
Windows Trumpet v1.0a

WinTrumpet is a Windows-Sockets compatible NNTP client 
from P. Tattam that supports the Trumpet ABI, packet 
drivers, Novell Lan Workplace for DOS and WinSock v1.1. 
It is the nicest shareware NNTP newsreader for Windows 
Sockets. Available at:
ftp://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/wintrump/
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/wintrump/wtwsk10a.zip 
(Windows Sockets version), 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/wintrump/wtpkt10a.zip, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/wintrump/wtabi10a.zip, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/wintrump/winpkt.com, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/wintrump/wtlwp10a.zip (Lan Workplace for DOS)

Recommendation
HGopher v2.4	Free

This is a Windows-sockets compatible version of Gopher. Looks good. 
Be sure to get the viewers, too. Available at:
file://lister.cc.ic.ac.uk/pub/wingopher/hgopher2.4.zip

Downright Speculation
WLPRSPL v4.0	Shareware

This is a windows sockets-compatible lpr implementation that 
offers support for multiple queues. Be aware that LPQ doesn't 
run with LAN Workplace for DOS, since it doesn't fully 
implement Windows Sockets. It also runs with wslpd's new 
"raw spooler," provided that you get lpd up and running 
prior to printing, since it will timeout quickly. Also, 
remember to name the spool files correctly and once you set 
the default spool directory, don't specify a full path in 
defining a spool file. 

Contact: mailto:[email-masked] Available as:
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/wlprsp40.zip. 

Recommendation
WinLPR v1.0	Shareware

This is an implementation of lpr, lpq, and lprm that allows 
you to print to a machine running lpd. It works fine for me. 
Contact: mailto:[email-masked]. Available at:
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/winlpr10.zip 

Recommendation
Winfsp v1.2	Free	

A Windows Sockets-compatible implementation of the 
File Slurping Protocol.  I got it working with no 
problem. Be aware that the Òprotocol searchÓ option 
can take quite a while; you may have be asking the 
client to individually test hundreds of ports, at 
a second per port. Available at:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/winfsp12.zip

*Recommendation
WinQVT/Net v3.97
Shareware	$40
Students	$20

QVTNet is a Windows v3.1 application that supports FTP 
client and server (not fully graphical; commands are 
entered at the bottom of the window), telnet (up to 
15 simultaneous sessions), mail (SMTP and POP3), 
NNTP (up to 30 newsgroups) and lpr.  It is written 
as a DLL, and comes in several versions: a Windows 
Sockets-compatible version (recommended); a 32-bit 
version;  and a version with it's own built-in 
TCP/IP stack. The version with the built-in stack 
requires that you load PKTINT in DOS before running 
it, and also requires you to supply your own packet 
drivers, and is compatible with AppleTalk as well as 
class 6 SLIP drivers. 

Note: the 16-bit Winsock version of WinQVT/Net has
problems under Windows NT; use the 32-bit version instead.

Available at:
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/gopher/pub/qvtnet/qvtne397.zip 
(packet driver version with built-in TCP/IP stack),
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/gopher/pub/qvtnet/qvtnt397.zip 
(Windows NT version), 
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/gopher/pub/qvtnet/qvtws397.zip 
(Windows Sockets version). 

Contact: mailto:[email-masked]

*Downright Speculation
WinVN v0.82	

A semi-graphical Windows application for reading news 
which supports NNTP over TCP/IP or serial line connections.  
Compatible with Winsock v1.1; a version is also available 
for Windows NT. Does not support LocalTalk. Current 
version has been tested with:

NetManage's WINSOCK
FTP Inc.'s WINSOCK
Wollongong's WINSOCK
NT's WSOCK32
DEC's Pathworks
MS's Lan Man

Available at: 
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/wnvn082s.zip
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/wnvn082s.zip

Sam Rushing, email: mailto:[email-masked],
mailto:[email-masked]

You'll find a bunch of zip files. Be sure to use binary mode. 
Read the file announce-2.txt first.

Recommendation
WS-Finger	Free

A Windows Sockets compatible finger implementation. Available at:
file://sparky.umd.edu/pub/winsock/wsfngr11.zip

Recommendation
Finger v3.1	Free	

The Windows version of Finger, which requires a Winsock DLL. 
It works; try it out. 
Available at:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/finger31.zip

*Recommendation
Cello WWW client v1.0	Free

Unlike Mosaic, Cello WWW does not support inline pictures, 
although it does support viewing of sounds, pictures, 
postscript and movies through external viewers. The 
current version supports Windows Sockets, and can be run
under Windows NT. 

Available at:
file://ftp fatty.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/cello.zip, 
file://ftp fatty.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/viewers.zip, 
the graphics viewer and sound player; 
file://ftp fatty.law.cornell.edu/pub/LII/Cello/gswin.zip, 
a Ghostscript Postscript viewer for Windows.

Suggestion
SMTP client v1.1	Free

A Windows Sockets-compatible SMTP client that is limited to 
send only. Not as functional as PCEudora (which also handles 
POP3). Available at:
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/smtp11.zip

Contact: mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion
Windows TN3270 client	Free

A Windows Sockets-compatible TN3270 client. Available at:
file://ftp.ccs.queensu.ca/pub/msdos/tcpip/qws3270.zip

Suggestion
Hlook

This is a reverse lookup tool that gives you the DNS name 
from an IP address. Available as:  
file://petros.psychol.utas.edu.au/pub/trumpet/uploads/iwork.zip

*Recommendation
WS-Archie

A windows sockets compatible Archie implementation by David Woakes.
Looks very good; runs fine under Windows NT.  
file://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/winsock/apps/wsarchie/wsarch05.zip

Suggestion
X.500 implementation

A windows sockets compatible X.500 implementation: 
file://naic.nasa.gov/software/windows-dua/pixie22b.zip, 
file://naic.nasa.gov/software/windows-dua/wdua12.zip

Suggestion
SWIX X.500 implementation

A windows sockets compatible X.500 implementation: 
file://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/winsock/apps/swix/swixb1.exe

Downright speculation
HTML Assistant	Free

This an MS Windows-compatible text editor for use in 
creation of HTML documents. It supports multiple documents. 
Available at:
file://ftp.cs.dal.ca/htmlasst/htmlasst.zip, 
file://ftp.cs.dal.ca/htmlasst/vbrun300.zip,
file://ftp.cs.dal.ca/htmlasst/readme.1st

Downright speculation
HTMTools	Free

This program is a DLL that allows you to go directly from 
MS Word for Windows v2.0 to HTML. Written by Jorma 
Hartikka, mailto:[email-masked]. Available as: 
file://ftp.funet.fi/pub/msdos/windows/winword/htmtl050.zip

*Downright speculation
Word Macros for HTML	free

This adds a toolbar to MS Word for Windows that supports adding
links, inline images, etc. Available via:
file://ftp.cuhk.hk///pub/www/windows/util/cu_html.zip  

*Downright speculation
HTMLWriter	Free

HTML Writer is another tool for producing HTML documents.
It is available via file://ftp.byu.edu/tmp/htmlwrit.zip.

Downright speculation
Mr. Squiggle	Free

This a Windows-Sockets compatible whiteboard application 
that allows two people to share the same drawing window 
over the Internet.  It was implemented in Visual Basic V3, 
and uses Brian Syme's VBWSK Visual Basic Winsock control.
Available at:
file://commsun.its.csiro.au/csiro/win3/squiggle/squiggle.zip, 
file://commsun.its.csiro.au/csiro/win3/squiggle/squiggle.doc

APPLICATIONS DEMOS

Suggestion
Starnet X-Window Server Demo       Free

This is a a demonstration version of the Starnet X-server. 
The pricing is reasonable and the product is fast. 
They have versions that work with Windows Sockets, 
packet drivers under DOS, and some other brands under 
DOS. It is available at: 
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/uploads/xwindemo.zip

Suggestion
ECSmail	Commercial

ECSmail is a commercial product supporting IMAP with DOS, 
Windows and Mac clients. this is a demo version. Available at:
file://info.asu.edu/pub/mail/ecs/ecsmail/MUASet/windows/mua2-3.exe

DOS TCP/IP STACKS

Suggestion
WATTCP	free

Development package for TCP/IP.  Available via:
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/apps.zip, 
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/readme.1st, 
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/newwattcp.zip

Erick Engelke, WATTCP Architect; mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion
Trumpet TCP/IP stack

This TCP/IP stack comes in three versions: a TSR version; a 
Windows Sockets version (discussed below); and a built-in 
version. It includes a traceroute program called hopchk2. 

Available as ftp://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/abi-version/
Available at file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/tcp201.zip

P. Tattam, Programmer; Psychology Department, University of 
Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 61-02-202346;  
mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation
PC-IP	Free

This was the software that started it all. It has been worked 
on at MIT, Carnegie Mellon, and Harvard and other places, but 
by now is out of date. Its authors recommend looking at newer 
alternatives such as NCSA, WATTCP, etc. 

Harvard version: Source code: 
file://ftp hsdndev.harvard.edu,/pub/pcip/pcip.tar.Z, 
file://ftp hsdndev.harvard.edu,/pub/pcip/doc.tar.Z, 
file://ftp hsdndev.harvard.edu,/pub/pcip/readme, 
file://ftp hsdndev.harvard.edu,/pub/pcip/readme.cmu
Binaries: ftp://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/pcip/bin/packet/
ftp://hsdndev.harvard.edu/pub/pcip/bin/general/

Another version:
file://netlab.usu.edu/netwatch/pcip96.zip

DOS APPLICATIONS

Suggestion
IRC client	free

A client for Internet Relay Chat.

Available at file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/irc/irc100.zip
Available at 
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/irc100.zip, 
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/ircabi.zip,
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/irclwp.zip 

P. Tattam, Programmer; Psychology Department, University of 
Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 61-02-202346;  
mailto:[email-masked]

Recommendation
WAIS for DOS	free

A DOS WAIS client which uses the Clarkson drivers is 
available at 
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/packages/infosystems/wais/DOS/pcdist.zip. 

A DOS WAIS client that requires the PC/TCP software from
FTP Software is available at 
file://oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu/public/dos/misc/oacwais.exe.

For information, contact: Steven E. Newton, Office of Academic 
Computing, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, 
mailto:[email-masked].

There is also a Novell LAN Workplace WAIS client available at 
file://ftp.oit.unc.edu/pub/WAIS/UNC/nov-cli-visual.zip.

Suggestion
PDCLKSET	Free

Requiring a packet driver, this software sets your PC clock 
via an Internet time server.It also offers several useful 
network testing functions. Supports ping, and can build an arp
table of nodes on the subnet. Available at 
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pkdrvr/pdclk207.zip 

Suggestion
NCSA Telnet	Free

Available at file://zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Telnet/msdos/tel2307b.zip, 
file://zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu/PC/Telnet/msdos/tel2307s.zip.  Also available at 
file://wsmr-simtel20.army.mil/PD1:<MSDOS.PKTDRVR>/tel2307b.zip
 
Compatible with LocalTalk.  A special version which supports 
PPP is available at file://merit.edu/pub/ppp/ncsappp.zip, 
file://merit.edu/pub/ppp/ncsappp.txt. A PPP FAQ is available at 
file://merit.edu/pub/ppp/ppp.faq

Be aware that the current version does not reassemble fragments, even
though a fix is available for this (argghhh....)

Recommendation
MS-Kermit 	Free

This version of Kermit supports telnet, VT320 and Tektronix 
emulation, as well as SIXEL. It incorporates the WATTCP 
stack, and also runns over Novell's LWP/DOS+Telapi, FTP 
Inc's PC/TCP+Tnglass, Beame & Whiteside's TCP/IP stack; 
DEC Pathworks, as well as over NetBIOS. It supports Int 
14h as well as Int 6Bh, and can run over packet drivers. 

Available at file://kermit.cc.columbia.edu/kermit/bin/msvibm.zip, 
file://kermit.cc.columbia.edu/kermit/bin/msvibm.pif (Windows PIF 
file for MS-DOS Kermit)

Downright speculation
PCUCP    Free

This is a Windows v3.1 application that allows multiple open 
text windows at the UNIX end. It is available at 
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/modem/pcucp11a.zip.

Recommendation
CUTCP Telnet	Free

CUTCP is the premiere DOS telnet application. Aside from 
VT100, and Tektronxi emulation, CUTCP also handles 3270 
emulation. The latest release has added ping and ODI 
support. Now supported by Rutgers University, having 
been tranferred from Clarkson University and Brad 
Clements. This directory contains the source and 
binary distributions, both in zip archives. For 
information contact mailto:[email-masked]. 

Available at 
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/cutcp/current/cutcp-b.zip 
(Documentation and binaries), 
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/cutcp/current/cutcp-s.zip 
(Source, documentation, and binaries). 

Downright speculation
Clarkson Archie	Free

Available at file://omnigate.clarkson.edu/pub/cutcp/archie.zip

Suggestion
Princeton Telnet Free

The Princeton version of Telnet supports localtalk cards 
and also does tn3270 access. Works on all localtalk cards 
(Sitka, Daystar, Farallon, ... )

Available at file://pusun3.princeton.edu/pub/PU2-2TN/pu2-2tn.zip

Recommendation
Clarkson Charon IPX/TCP email and printer gateway v4.0

Charon is a gateway widely used with Pegasus mail. 
Available at file://omnigate.clarkson.edu/pub/cutcp/charon40.zip, 
file://sun.soe.clarkson.edu/pub/cutcp/charon.zip

*Suggestion
Pegasus mail

Ron Sires <[email-masked]> writes:

"The latest version of Pegasus Mail for Windows supports POP3/SMTP mail
transfer through the WinSock interface.  I haven't used it for tcp/ip mail
yet, but its great as a Novell network email system.  My company uses it
extensively.  The program is free, but the author charges for printed
manuals.  The on-line docs are pretty good though. For more information, 
check out news:bit.listserv.pmail"

Pegasus mail is available via:
file://risc.ua.edu/pub/pegasus/winpm111.zip (Windows version),
file://risc.ua.edu/pub/pegasus/pmail311.zip (DOS version)

Recommendation
Phone package	Free

A phone dialer package for DOS that was written to run with 
the UMSLIP driver. Be aware that UMSLIP does not work with PKTMUX. 

Available at file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/pub/pc/slip/sliparc.exe, 
file://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/pub/pc/slip/phone.doc

*Downright speculation
NFS Client 
Business users	$20 (Shareware)
Home or Ed. use $15 (Shareware)

This a shareware NFS client. The shareware fee includes the right to a year's 
worth of free upgrades. All TCP/IP stack versions of it are available under one 
license. Site license discounts start at 20 machines. I have tried this,
and it works well. The latest version includes a built-in packet
multiplexer. Available at:
file://polyslo.calpoly.edu/pub/mdurkin/nfs/bugs.lst 
(Known and recently fixed bugs list)
file://polyslo.calpoly.edu/pub/mdurkin/nfs/nfs025-m.zip   
(MS-DOS NFS client for Microsoft Lan Manager)
file://polyslo.calpoly.edu/pub/mdurkin/nfs/nfs025-n.zip  
(MS-DOS NFS client for Novell LAN WorkPlace)
file://polyslo.calpoly.edu/pub/mdurkin/nfs/nfs025-t.zip   
(MS-DOS NFS client for Trumpet TCPDRV)
file://polyslo.calpoly.edu/pub/mdurkin/nfs/nfs025-w.zip  
(WATTCP MS-DOS NFS client)

*Downright speculation
XFS  Shareware	
Educational license   $15
Commercial            $25

This is another NFS client implementation for MS-DOS, by Robert Juhasz 
(mailto:[email-masked]). It runs over packet drivers and
includes a built-in PKTDRVR multiplexer so you can run other software
concurrently. There are site license discounts. Requires a 286. Available as:
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.2/SimTel/msdos/nfs/xfs171.zip

Recommendation
Talk v1.2	Free

A DOS Talk client running over packet drivers. Available as:
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/pktdrvr/talk-12.zip 

Recommendation
PC Gopher III	Free

An MS-DOS client for the Gopher information server. Be aware 
that you must load WINPKT.COM (or PKTMUX if you are running 
multiple TCP/IP applications) to get this program to work 
under Windows. The code for PC Gopher III has also been 
incorporated into Minuet. 

Available at file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/gopher/PC_client/docs/pcgopher.txt
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/gopher/PC_client/00README, also:
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/dos/pcg3.zip, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/dos/pcg3doc.zip

WINPKT is available at file://biochemistry.micro.umn.edu/pub/slip/dos/winpkt.com

Downright Speculation
Uwho	Free
	
Uwho is Stan Barber's interface to whois and ph e-mail 
address servers that runs under MS-DOS. An alpha test 
version is available at 
file://punisher.caltech.edu/pub/dank/uwho/uwho218b.tar.Z, 
file://punisher.caltech.edu/pub/dank/uwho/uwho218b.zip, 
or unarchived in 
ftp://punisher.caltech.edu/pub/dank/uwho218b/
The archived text files are in Unix format.

Recommendation
DOS Trumpet v1.06b 	Shareware, $10. 

Trumpet is an NNTP newsreader for DOS that can be placed on a 
NetWare server, while storing news groups and configuration 
files in each user's directory. It supports packet drivers, 
LAN WorkPlace for DOS, and Trumpet ABI.    

Available at file://ftp.utas.edu.au/pc/trumpet/dostrump/trmp106b.zip
Available at file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/trmp106b.zip, 
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/newsabi.zip, 
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/newslwp.zip 

Contact: mailto:[email-masked]

Multi-user site licenses

Trumpet will be charged by the total number of users who 
have  access to Trumpet on  a  network. A site is designated 
as  being one organization located within a radius of10 km.

The pricing structure is:

1-99 users	$10 US per user
100-999 users	$1000 US + $2 US per additional user above 100
1000-4999 users	$2800 US + $0.20 US per additional user over 1000
5000+	$3600 US

P. Tattam, Programmer; Psychology Department, University of 
Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 61-02-202346;  
mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation
Broadcast	Free

This is a PC client for the Macintosh Broadcast program, by Kai Getrost. 

Available at file://caisr2.caisr.cwru.edu/pub/net/bdcst11.zip

*Suggestion
DOSLynx	free

This is a textual browser for WWW that requires a class 1 packet
driver, and includes its own built-in TCP/IP stack. It can call 
external viewers but does not allow viewing of inline images. 
It is compatible with EtherSLIP or EtherPPP, but takes up quite
a bit of memory, leaving little left over for documents on a
640K machine. Available via:
ftp://ftp2.cc.ukans.edu/pub/WWW/DosLynx/

Suggestion
NuPOP/PC  free

In addition to a POP/SMTP mail client that supports MIME, NuPOP 
contains an FTP client, a Ph (phonebook) client, a Gopher client, 
a news reader, a Telnet client, and an LPR (print) client. 
Version of NuPOP are also available that support Wollongong 
TCP kernel, WATTCP kernel, and Trumpet ABI TCP kernel. 
Can be gotten to support LocalTalk via the provided LocalTalk 
driver. Do not use the Clarkson drivers for this. By the way, 
NuPOP also supports serial access, as well as running over TCP/IP. 

Available at file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/nupop/nupoprea.zip (real mode executable)
file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/nupop/nupoppro.zip (protected mode executable)
file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/nupop/nupopsup.zip (additional files required)

If you want the news reading and MIME support,  you must first 
install the protected mode version described above, and then 
install the following over it.
file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/nupop/nupop210_test_release/nupop210.zip
or if you get the real mode executable:
file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/nupop/nupop210_test_release/real210.zip

Suggestion
POPmail-PC v3.2.2	

This is the package included with SLIPDISK.  Supports Ethernet, 
AppleTalk, and SLIP. Use the AppleTalk driver that works with NuPOP. 

Available at 
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/popmail/popmail-3.2.2/program/popmail.exe, 
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/popmail/popmail-3.2.2/program/popmail.hlp

file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/popmail/popmail-3.2.2/manuals/manual.asc, 
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/popmail/popmail-3.2.2/program/popmail.doc, 
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/popmail/popmail-3.2.2/program/popmail.sty

A POP3 server for VMS and MS-DOS client software is available at 
file://logos.ucs.indiana.edu/INDEX

Recommendation
Minuet	

A smorgasbord of DOS TCP/IP applications, including gopher, mail, 
ftp, news, and telnet, Minuet includes code from PC Gopher III, 
and POPmail. It supports multiple windows, as well as Ethernet, 
AppleTalk and SLIP packet drivers. Use the AppleTalk driver 
that works with NuPOP. Since Minuet does so much, and does 
it well, you may not want to use anything else, unless you 
don't have enough RAM for it. 

Available at file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/pc/minuet/minuarc.exe

Suggestion
PC-Pine v3.88	Free

This is a PC-compatible version of Pine, running under DOS. 
There are versions written for FTP Software's PC/TCP, Novell's 
Lan WorkPlace for DOS, and WATTCP. 

Available at file://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/pcpine_p.zip 
(WATTCP version), 
file://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/pcpine_n.zip (Novell LWP), 
file://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/pcpine_f.zip (FTP PC/TCP)
 
Note that PC Pine relys on the Interactive Mail Access Protocol 
(IMAP2) rather than POP. You must have an IMAP server installed 
in order to use it. IMAPd is available at 
file://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z

For a listing of other IMAP-compatible clients, get
file://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.software. 

Downright speculation
Ph client	

University of Illinois CCSO name server client.

Available at file://uxc.cso.uiuc.edu/net/ph/dos/pcph.com, 
file://uxc.cso.uiuc.edu/net/ph/dos/pcph.README

Downright Speculation
FTPNuz	$10/shareware

Gene Mangum's shareware newsreader for DOS, which requires FTP 
Software's PC/TCP kernel. Runs under MS-DOS, as well as in a 
DOS window under MS Windows and OS/2. Features include support 
for NNTP,pull-down menus, reading and posting of news, reply 
by mail via SMTP.

Available at file://calvin.sfasu.edu/pub/dos/network/ftp-pctcp/ftpnuz10.zip

Gene Mangum; mailto:[email-masked]

DOS SERVERS

Recommendation
KA9Q	
Educational Use	Free
Commercial Use	$50

There are several versions of KA9Q, each with different 
capabilities. The current most capable versions are the 
ones put together by the folks at Demon Internet Services 
(DIS) in the UK, and the version put out by Ashok Aiyar at 
CWRU. CWRU Version 1.0b is based on the N1BEE 0.85-beta 
which in turn is based on PA0GRI 2.0m NOS, and includes 
support for NTP, CSO, Gopher, FTP, and SMTP/POP2/POP3 
servers, plus VT102 and packet filtering support. Base 
code is by Ashok Aiyar, [email-masked]. 
The Textwin version from DIS does not include Gopher 
support, but does support Domain Name Service and 
can act as an NNTP server. 

KA9Q can route TCP/IP packets over X.25, Ethernet, 
LocalTalk (with a special version), and serial lines 
(via SLIP/CSLIP/PPP). It supports connection to 56 
Kbps leased lines via a CSU/DSU and an SCC card, and 
supports up to 4 serial ports per machine. This means 
you can purchase a 56 Kbps Internet link, then divide it 
among 4 users, bringing the cost way down. KA9Q is a 
useful tool for sysops looking to hook their systems 
to the Internet, regardless of what kind of computer 
the BBS runs on.   

Available as: 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos11c.exe, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos11c.txt, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos11c.map, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos192.txt, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/nos_1229.man, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/vt102.zip, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/filter.txt, 
file://biochemistry.cwru.edu/pub/nos/autoexec.nos

Alternative sites: 
ftp://ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/ka9q
ftp://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/gopher/PC_server/ka9q

A Macintosh port (NetMac) is available at 
ftp://sumex-aim.stanford.edu/info-mac/comm/

Textwin (multiwindowing version with mouse support) package 
is available in three versions: large, small and tiny. The 
tiny package includes support for NNTP, SMTP and POP servers; 
the small version adds support for FTP servers; and the 
large version adds packet filtering, RIP and DNS support, and
is the version that I tested the config files with. 
Available as: 
ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/textwin.

Contact: mailto:[email-masked], mailto:[email-masked], 
mailto:[email-masked]

An access control program for SLIP gates, known as SLIPLOG, 
is available via: 
file://mvmpc9.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de/public/nos/sliplog.zip
If you have trouble accessing this with the ws-ftp client, 
set your servertype to ka9q. 

Phil Karn, KA9Q; 7431 Teasdale Ave, San Diego, CA 92122; 
(619)587-8281, fax: (619)587-1825

Downright Speculation
NOSView v3.04	

Written by Ian Wade, G3NRW, NOSView is online documentation 
for KA9Q, which describes all the NOS commands. It also 
contains a complete set of templates for use of KA9Q.

Available at file://ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/nosview/nosvw304.zip

Contact: Ian Wade, mailto:[email-masked] 

Downright Speculation
Hamburg Gopher Server

Available at:
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/gopher/PC_server/hamburg/gophserv.zip (server package), 
file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/gopher/PC_server/hamburg/gophdoc.zip (documentation), file://boombox.micro.umn.edu/pub/gopher/PC_server/hamburg/engine.zip (database engine)
file://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/infosystems/gopher/pc/go4ham/go4ham.zip

Downright Speculation
Stan's Own Server	Free

SOS is based on the now-outdated PC-IP, and as a result 
is not used much anymore. However, there is no other 
publicly distributable NFS server package out there, 
so if you need one, you might as well try this. 
Available at file://sun.soe.clarkson.edu/pub/packet-drivers/soss.zoo, 
sossread.me.  Also available at file://spdcc.com/pub/sos/soss.zoo, 
file://spdcc.com/pub/sos/sossexe.zoo

A version with a couple of bugs fixed is available at 
file://hilbert.wharton.upenn.edu/pub/tcpip/soss.zip

For info, contact: Richard Bruan, mailto:[email-masked], or Seemong Tan,
mailto:[email-masked].

Downright Speculation
BOOTP and FTPD NLMs

Available via ftp://novell.felk.cvut.cs/pub/nw311/ftpd,
ftp://novell.felk.cvut.cs/pub/nw311/bootpd, 
ftp://novell.felk.cvut.cs/pub/nw311/resolv. 

Downright Speculation
LPD	Free
FTP and BOOTP server  included

This software is a freeware line printer daemon as 
well as an FTP and BOOTP server.  Available via 
file://tacky.cs.olemiss.edu/pub/lpd/lpd.zip, 
file://tacky.cs.olemiss.edu/pub/lpd/lpdsrc.zip

Recommendation
TELNETD	Free

TELNETD is a simple, free and unsupported TELNET 
server for PCs, by Erick Engelke. It works on top 
of packet drivers and lets you run most DOS software. 
However, it doesn't do everything; if you want a 
commercial-quality implementation, get Everywhere Access. 

Available at file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/telnetd.zip

Recommendation
COMD	Free

COMD by Erick Engelke allows you to share serial port 
devices, including printers and modems with another 
TCP/IP connected computer. 

Available at file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/comd.zip

Downright Speculation
SMTP server	free

An SMTP server for DOS. Available at: 
file://ftp-ns.rutgers.edu/pub/msdos/wattcp/smtpserv.zip

WINDOWS SERVERS

Recommendation
WS-Gmail	Free

An SMTP and POP3 server implementation with a matching 
mail client that supports multiple userIDs as well as 
aliases. Written by John A. Junod. Available as: 
file://ftp.usma.edu/pub/msdos/winsock.files/ws_gmail.zip (Mail implementation)

John A. Junod; 267 Hillwood Street, Martinez, GA 30907; 
mailto:[email-masked]; (706)791-3245  AV:780-3245

Recommendation
Fingerd	Free

A Windows Sockets compatible finger server:   
file://sparky.umd.edu/pub/winsock/wfngrd10.zip

Downright Speculation
Web4Ham v0.14	Free

A Windows Sockets compatible HTTP server, by Gunter Hille, 
mailto:[email-masked]. Available as:   
file://cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/uploads/web4ham.zip
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/net/winsock/web4ham.zip

Recommendation
SerWeb v0.3	Free

A fully functional HTTPd implementation for Windows. 
For info, mailto:[email-masked]. Available as: 
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/serweb03.zip

*Suggestion
NCSA HTTPd for Windows Free

This is a fully compliant  HTTTP server from NCSA that supports 
scripts. Available as: ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/ncsa_httpd/contrib/whtp11a6.zip

Downright speculation
Cookie server	Free

This is a Windows-Sockets compatible fortune cookie server 
(RFC 865) that runs on port 17. Available at:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/cooksock.zip. 

Contact: [email-masked]

Suggestion
Windows Sockets for PC/NFS	free

An implementation of Windows Sockets for PC/NFS.   

Available at:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/wsck-nfs.zip 

*Suggestion
WinFTPd	$15 (shareware)

An FTP daemon for Windows by Alun Jones (mailto:[email-masked]). 

Available at:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/wftpd19.zip
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/cica/winsock/wftpd19.zip 

Downright Speculation
WinLPD	Free

An lpd implementation for Windows.  mailto:[email-masked]

Available at:
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/wslpd-11.exe 

Downright speculation
Text server

This is an extended finger client, which can also serve text 
files. Available at 
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/txtsrv.zip

Recommendation
SMTP daemon v1.6	free

A Windows-Sockets SMTP daemon, complete with source code. 
Works fine. Available at:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/winsock/wsmtpd16.zip.  

mailto:[email-masked]

WINDOWS NT SERVERS

Recommendation
Windows NT FTP daemon	Free

This is a Windows NT version of ftpd. Quite fast. 
Available at:
file://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/apps/nt-ftpd.zip 

*Recommendation
HTTPS v0.8	Free

This is a very powerful and easy to install HTTP server,
probably the best I've seen running under any OS.
HTTPS is a Windows NT HTTP v1.0 server for Windows NT 
produced as part of the European Microsoft Windows NT 
Academic Centre (EMWAC).  Binaries are available for 
Intel and DEC Alpha architectures. HTTPS is 
multi-threaded, understands HEAD and GET methods, 
supports Forms and CGI-BIN scripts, and runs as a Windows 
NT service.

HTTPS (For HTTP Service) can be configured via the control 
panel, is integrated with the WAISS server, and logs HTTP 
transactions in the event logger. Available at: 
file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/https/HSI386.ZIP (Intel version), 
file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/https/HSALPHA.ZIP (DEC Alpha version), 
file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/https/HHTPS.TXT 
(description of the server)

*Recommendation
GOPHERS v0.6	Free

This is a Windows NT Gopher server for Windows NT 
produced as part of the European Microsoft Windows 
NT Academic Centre (EMWAC).  Binaries are available 
for Intel and DEC Alpha architectures. This gopher 
server is multi-threaded, and runs as a Windows NT 
service. It can be configured via the control panel. 
Available at: 
file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/gophers/GSI386.ZIP (Intel version), 
file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/gophers/GSALPHA.ZIP (DEC Alpha version), 
file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/gophers/MESSAGE.TXT 
(description of the server)

*Recommendation
WAISS v0.6	Free

This is a Windows NT WAIS server for Windows NT produced as 
part of the European Microsoft Windows NT Academic Centre 
(EMWAC). It inclues an indexing tool, WAISINDX that lets you
index documents in a number of formats. This is the easiest
to set up WAIS server I've seen, and it is well integrated
with the Gopher and HTTP servers. 

Binaries are available for Intel and DEC Alpha 
architectures. This WAIS server is multi-threaded, and 
runs as a Windows NT service. It can be configured via 
the control panel. Available at: 
ftp://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/waistool

Downright speculation
NT-Perl	Free

This is a Windows NT implementation of Perl v4.036, ported by Intergraph.  

Available at: 
file://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/ntperl.zip.

UNIX SERVERS

*Suggestion
Samba v1.6	Free

SMBServer includes a UNIX-based SMB file and print server, 
as well as a UNIX SMB client and a NetBIOS nameserver (NBNS). 
It can be used with clients such as Windows for Workgroups, 
Windows NT, OS/2, Pathworks, and LanManager for DOS. This 
means that it can attach to Windows NT and WFW servers or 
mount portions of the UNIX file system on these machines. 
You can also print from UNIX to an SMB printer by adding 
an entry in /etc/printcap. It supports username/password 
security, umask support, guest connections and system 
attribute mapping. SMBServer is being run under Linux, 
SunOS, Solaris, SVR4, Ultrix, OSF1, AIX, BSDI, NetBSD, 
Sequent, HP-UX, SGI, FreeBSD, and NeXT.

Available at:
file://nimbus.anu.edu.au/pub/tridge/server/tarred/smbserver-1.6.03.tar.gz 

WAN CONNECTIVITY

Suggestion
Niwot synchronous board	 $695

This Niwot synchronous adapter comes with a packet driver 
that works with PCROUTE or KA9Q, and can handle speeds up to T1. 

Niwot Networks, (303)444-7765

Suggestion
RISCom N1 single port card	$495
N2 dual port card

This board is supported by BSD/386, and supports HDLC at 
56 Kbps for connection to Cisco routers running PPP. 

SDL Communications, Inc.; (508)238-4490 

Suggestion
Livingston Portmaster IRX-114 terminal servers

Livingston Enterprises; (800)458-9966, fax: (510)426-8951, 
mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion
Morning Star Routers

Morning Star Technologies, Inc; (614)451-1883, (800)558-7827, 
fax: (614)459-5054,  mailto:[email-masked], 
mailto:[email-masked], ftp archive: ftp://ftp.morningstar.com/, 
WWW server: http://www.morningstar.com/

Suggestion
Tylink ONS-150 CSU/DSU

This is a reasonably priced T1 CSU/DSU. 

Capella Networking; (415)591-3400, (408)225-2655, mailto:[email-masked]

ROUTERS AND BRIDGES

Recommendation
KA9Q	
Educational Use	Free
Commercial Use	$50

KA9Q includes routing and packet filtering capabilities, along 
with a variety of other client and server capabilities. See 
the listing under Servers. 

Suggestion
PCRoute v2.24	Free

This package can convert a PC into a TCP/IP router. It doesn't 
require more than 1 Mb of memory, and works fine on an 8088, 
although faster machines are recommended. This is a fast and 
reliable router and highly recommended for routing between Ethernets. 

Available at file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/pcroute/readme.1st (Readme file)
file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/pcroute/readme.pcroute.doc (PCRoute documentation)
file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/pcroute/pcroute2.24.tar.Z (executables)
file://ftp.acns.nwu.edu/pub/pcroute/pcroute2.24.src.tar.Z (source code)

Vance Morrison, LANport, Inc.; 2040 Polk Street #340, 
San Francisco, CA 94109; (415)775-0188, mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion
PCBridge v2.77	Free

Originally by Vance Morrison of Northwestern, PCBridge has been taken 
over by  Alessandro Fanelli and Luigi Rizzo. The latest version of 
PCBridge is now ROMable. The  
software is available at file://pical3.iet.unipi.it/pub/bridge/bdg277.tar.Z

Alessandro Fanelli, Luigi Rizzo (mailto:[email-masked]), 
Universita di Pisa - via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 Pisa, Italy ; 
+39-50-568533, fax:  +39-50-568522

Downright Speculation
Drawbridge v1.1

Drawbridge is a bridging filter that requires two ethernet cards. 
It is comprised of three programs: Filter, Filter Compiler and Filter Manager.

It is available at 
file://net.tamu.edu/pub/security/TAMU/drawbridge-1.1.tar.gz, 
file://net.tamu.edu/pub/security/TAMU/drawbridge.README,  
file://net.tamu.edu/pub/security/TAMU/drawbridge-1.1-des.tar.gz

Downright Speculation
KarlBridge v1.41

This software, which uses WATTCP, provides a two port 
Ethernet to Ethernet bridge that can filter based on any 
Ethernet protocol, including IP, XNS, DECNET, LAT, 
EtherTalk, NetBEUI, Novell IPX, etc. It will also 
act as an IP firewall by filtering IP packets based on 
IP address/network/subnet combinations and socket numbers. 
It can also filter DECNET and AppleTalk Phase 1 & 2 packets. 
It now supports SNMP queries for remote management. Novell 
SAP and NCR WaveLAN filtering are coming in a future release. 
Available at file://128.146.1.7/pub/kbridge/kbridge141.zip

TROUBLESHOOTING

Downright Speculation
Windows Ping	free

Available at:
file://microdyne.com/pub/incoming/ws_ping.zip, 
file://ftp.usma.edu/pub/msdos/winsock.files/ws_ping.zip

John Junod; mailto:[email-masked]; mailto:[email-masked]
NCOIC, Technology Integration Branch, Computer Science School, 
FT Gordon, GA 30905; (706)791-3245  AV:780-3245

Downright Speculation
DOS Ping	free

Available at:
file://ftp.usma.edu/pub/msdos/misc/ping.exe 

Downright Speculation
Traceroute	free

A version of traceroute for DOS, available at:  
file://biochemistry.bioc.cwru.edu/pub/trumpet/tcp201.zip

There are also versions of ping and traceroute included with Trumpet Winsock. 

Downright Speculation
SNMP monitor	Free

An SNMP monitor for Sun, available at:
file://sun.soe.clarkson.edu/pub/packet-drivers/snmpsrc.zip.  
Also available at file://enh.nist.gov/misc/snmpsrc.zip, 
file://enh.nist.gov/misc/snmpsup.zip, 
file://enh.nist.gov/misc/snmpsun.tar_Z

Suggestion
Fergie	Free

Fergie is a packet monitoring and grabbing tool that supports SNMP 
and supersedes The Beholder and Gobbler. Spectre is a network 
host profiler. Tricklet is a set of SNMP utilities.

Fergie is available at file://dnpap.et.tudelft.nl/pub/Fergie/frgbin2.zip. The
source code is available at file://dnpap.et.tudelft.nl/pub/Fergie/frgsrc2.zip. 

To get on the Fergie mailing list, mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion
Beholder - The Next Generation (BTNG)	Free

BTNG is an RMON compatible Ethernet monitor for OS/2, 
SunOS and Ultrix. Tricklet is a set of SNMP utilities for 
OS/2 and UNIX. To run these tools under OS/2, you will need 
an Ethernet card with an NDIS driver for OS/2. Available at:
file://dnpap.et.tudelft.nl/pub/btng/README (Readme file)
file://dnpap.et.tudelft.nl/pub/btng/btng41exe.zip (OS/2 binaries)
file://dnpap.et.tudelft.nl/pub/btng/btng41src.zip  (OS/2 source)
file://dnpap.et.tudelft.nl/pub/btng/BTNG.FAQ  (Frequently Asked Questions)

Suggestion
NetProbe	Free

An unsupported utility from 3Com that can decode XNS,
TCP/IP, ICMP, AppleTalk, IPX/SPX, SMB, and other protocols, 
but only supports the Etherlink, Etherlink II, EtherLink 
Plus and Token Plus adapters. Available on CompuServe in 
the 3Com forum as EPROBE.ZIP in lib 5, unsupported utilities.

Downright Speculation
Netwatch	Free

Essential network debugging tools for the PC.  Available at 
file://netlab.usu.edu/netwatch.dir/netwatch.exe. 

Recommendation
Ethload v1.04	Free

This is an Ethernet load monitor that gives all kinds of useful
statistics on your network, including breakdowns by protocol
(supports IP, NetWare, OSI, DECNet, NetBEUI), source or destination,
ports, etc. Very useful. 

Available at file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/lan/ethld104.zip. 
Also available at file://wsmr-simtel20.army.mil/<msdos.lan>/ethld104.zip.

*Recommendation
EtherDump v1.04	Free

This is a tracing program, similar to TCPDump. However, the output
isn't quite as sophisticated or easy to read, although it certainly
is voluminous. 

Available at:
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/lan/ethdp104.zip 
file://wsmr-simtel20.army.mil/<msdos.lan>/ethdp104.zip
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.2/SimTel/msdos/lan/ethdp104.zip

*Downright speculation
SNMPMAN

SNMPMAN is an SNMP-based network monitoring 
package written by Abner Correia, Jorge Pires,
and Tiago Silva ([email-masked]). 

Information on SNMPMAN is available
via http://www.fc.ul.pt/software/snmpman.html. 

Available at:
file://ftp.fc.ul.pt/pub/networking/snmp/snmpman.zip 

SNMPMAN, Faculdade de Ciencias da Universidade de
Lisboa (Departamento de Informatica), Campo Grande-Bloco
C5, 1700 LISBOA, Portugal; voice: +351 1 7510003,
fax: +351 1 7577831. 
 
*Downright speculation
NetGuardian v1.1

NetGuardian is an SNMP-based network monitoring 
package written by Paulo Sergio Mena,
Ricardo Machado de Oliveira and Rui Santos Antonio,
([email-masked]). It requires Ling Thio
and Dirk Wisse's WINSNMP.DLL.

Information on NetGuardian is available
via http://www.fc.ul.pt/software/netguard.html. 

Available at:
file://ftp.fc.ul.pt/pub/networking/snmp/netguard.zip 
 
NetGuardian, Faculdade de Ciencias da Universidade de
Lisboa (Departamento de Informatica), Campo Grande-Bloco
C5, 1700 LISBOA, Portugal; voice: +351 1 7510003,
fax: +351 1 7577831. 

*Downright speculation
NetAddress v1.1	Free

This program collects Ethernet addresses and various statistics,
including protocols used, IP and IPX address, AppleTalk name,
etc.

Available at:
file://oak.oakland.edu/pub/msdos/lan/net-ad11.zip
file://ftp.cdrom.com/.2/SimTel/msdos/lan/net-ad11.zip   
 
TCP/IP AND NETWARE

Downright speculation
BYU Netware shell drivers	free

Allows you to build an IPX.COM that runs over packet drivers.  
Works by  providing .obj and .lan files for the Neware shell 
generation program, shgen.exe. Running shgen.exe produces netX.com 
as well as an ipx.com for your interface card. Again, I've had 
better results with ODIPKT than with this. 

Available at:
ftp://vax.ftp.com/pub/packet.driver/pubdom/byu  

Downright speculation
Intel PDIPX	free

Another way of building an IPX.COM that runs over packet drivers.  

Available at:
file://ftp sun.soe.clarkson.edu/pub/packet-drivers/intel/pdipx.zip 

Suggestion
PDEther v1.03

An ODI over packet driver shim. See entry under Drivers and Shims. 

Recommendation
Odipkt v3.0

A packet driver over ODI shim. See entry under Drivers and Shims. 

UNCLASSIFIABLE (BUT INTERESTING) STUFF

Downright speculation
GIGO Free

This has nothing to do with TCP/IP, but rather is a UUCP 
packet to FidoNet .PKT translator. For info, 
mailto:[email-masked]. Available at 
file://ftp.netcom.com/pub/jfesler/gigo.zip

------------------------------ END OF PART 2 ------------------------

Please send comments to:

Bernard Aboba
Author of:
The Online User's Encyclopedia, Addison-Wesley, 1993
The PC-Internet Connection, Publisher's Group West, 1994 
mailto:[email-masked]
WWW page: http://www.zilker.net/users/internaut/index.html