Subject: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), part 3 of 3
From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,alt.winsock,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: ibmpc-tcp-ip-faq/part3

comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc:
FAQ Posting, part 3, 8/1/94

COMMERCIAL PRODUCTS

*Downright speculation
TCP/IP BOOT-PROM

The TCP/IP BOOT-PROM is a TCP/IP based Boot ROM available for about
34 Ethernet and Token Ring PC network controllers. It uses the protocols
BOOTP and TFTP to download the DOS operating system and network software
from a TCP/IP based servers like UNIX, NetWare, OS/2 or Windows NT.
Several network software like PC-NFS, PC/TCP, PC-Interface, B&W NFS,
LAN WorkPlace, NetWare, NetWare/IP, LanManager, TUN and other are supported
on the diskless client site.

The builtin application interface allows to access the ROMs TCP/IP stack
for building low cost terminals or downloading other operating systems
e.g. UnixWare.

Dirk Koeppen EDV-Beratungs-GmbH, Germany
Phone: +49 69 89 3000, Fax: +49 69 89 3004, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
3Com TCP w/ DPA v2.0

3Com; (800)638-3266

Downright Speculation 
Internet in a Box

This is a much ballyhooed product, which will include a special version
of Ed Krol's book, alongside a complete suite of applications. Rumour
has it that the installation procedure is quite streamlined in that it
sets up all the stack as well as all the applications in one fell swoop.

Spry Inc.; 1319 Dexter Ave North, Seattle WA 98109; (206)286-1412, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
AIR for Windows

Spry Inc.; 1319 Dexter Ave North, Seattle WA 98109; (206)286-1412, 
mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation
Teemtalk for DOS
Teemtalk for Windows

Teemtalk supports connections over ARPA Services 2.0+ (HP), Beame & Whiteside, 
CTerm (DEC), Int-6B (Novell NASI), Int-14, MS LanManager, Lan Workplace, LAT, 
NetBIOS, Netmanage Chameleon, OSLAN (ICL), Pathway, PC-NFS, PCTCP, 
TELAPI (Novell), and also support Windows Sockets, and regular or BIOS level
serial connections. 

Emulations include  VT 52/100/220/240/320/340/640, Viewdata 
40/80/Split, DG200, HP2392A, Tek4014, Regis and W2119. Protocol support 
Kermit and Xmodem. It also supports DDE. 

Pericom,  1-609-895-0404 (US) and 0908-265533 in the UK.

Suggestion 
BW-NFS v3.0c

NFS is implemented as a TSR; the TCP stack is a device driver.  
The package supports SLIP, NFS client, Telnet (VT220 and
3270 emulation), finger, talk, ftp, and SMTP mail.  It also can act as a
server for telnet, FTP, finger, and lp.  The 3270 emulation is reportedly
OK.

Beame & Whiteside Software Inc.; 706 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1655
(919)831-8989, tech: (919)831-8975, fax: (919)831-8990, mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion 
Chameleon v3.15	$125 (upgrade price) 
ChameleonNFS v3.15
$400

Chameleon is a Windows 3.x TCP/IP implementation that can handle FTP,
Telnet (3270, ANSI, VT-52, VT100 and VT220 emulation), ping, SMTP, POP2,
and NFS (client and server) all in multiple windows, simultaneously.  The
package also supports DNS via an implementation of BIND, as well as SNMP.
ChameleonNFS is compatible with the IPX/Link product for Netware from
NetManage. Most of the code resides in a DLL. Chameleon supports multiple
interfaces, and can route betweenthem. The newest release supports CSLIP,
PPP and NNTP.

NetManage, Inc.; 20823 Stevens Creek Blvd.,Cupertino, CA 95101;
(408)973-7171, fax: (408)257-6405, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright speculation 
Distinct Network Applications v3.02	$395
Distinct Software Development Kit	$495 
Network & Developer Combination	        $695

Distinct TCP/IP for Windows - Network Applications v3 integrates several
Windows based TCP/IP utilities under a single interface.

These include: Distinct Telnet which allows multiple concurrent Telnet
sessions on different remote hosts, allowing you to cut and paste
information between these systems as well as between the systems and your
local host. Distinct FTP is a drag and drop FTP which allows you to drag a
local or remote file to a local printer. Distinct FTP has both a client and
a server; this means that files can be also transferred by selected users
from PC to PC (password protection is included). TFTP provides file
transfer services to  communications servers and routers that do not have
FTP. Network Monitor monitors host-to-host communication and data
transmission traffic and is able to capture network traffic to a file.

Distinct TCP/IP for Windows - Software Development Kit

This product is engineered as 100% DLL, and requires only 4 Kb DOS memory
for a driver. The product supports up to 64 concurrent sockets, and buffers
are allocated and deallocated as they open and close.

Includes three development kits:

Distinct TCP/IP for Windows - Berkeley-style Sockets (TCP, UDP, ICMP,
Telnet, FTP)

Distinct TCP/IP for Windows - Windows Sockets ver. 1.1

Distinct RPC - a complete ONC RPC/XDR toolkit for Windows (Client and
Server RPC over both TCP and UDP; includes RPCGEN)

Distinct Corporation;14395 Saratoga Avenue, Suite 120, Saratoga, CA 95070;
(408)741-0781, fax: (408)741-0795, mailto:[email-masked]

Distinct Corporation; P.O. Box 3410, Saratoga, CA 95070-1410;
(408)741-0781, mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion 
Everywhere Access

This is a remote access package for TCP/IP, including support for telnet
server, FTP and Kermit transfers, VT100, VT220, VT300 emulation, password
security. Includes versions working with WATTCP as well as other
implementations.

Supro Network Software Inc.; P.O. Box 18, Warsaw, Ontario, Canada K0L-3A0;
(705) 652-1572, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
Fusion

Pacific Software; (800)541-9508

Downright Speculation 
ICE/TCP

James River Group; 125 North First St., Minneapolis, MN 55401;
(612)339-2521, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
Lanera TCPOpen/Standard v2.2

Lanera Corporation; 516 Valley Way, Milpitas CA 95035; (408)956-8344,
mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
Lantastic for TCP/IP

Artisoft, Inc.;  691 East River Road, Tucson, AZ 85704; (602)293-6363

Suggestion   
LAN Workplace for DOS v4.1r8

Novell, Inc.; 122 East 1700 South, Provo, UT 84606; (800)772-UNIX

Downright Speculation 
NS & ARPA Services v2.5

Hewlett-Packard; 19420 Homestead Rd., Cupertino, CA  94014; (408)725-8111

Downright Speculation 
The Wollongong Group's PathWay Access

A family of complete IP Services for DOS/Windows, Macintosh, OS/2, and VMS
systems, as well as SNMP and X-400/X-500 products.  Wollongong has been
providing IP solutions for over 14 years.

PathWay Access for DOS/Windows 3.0 - This product has been significantly
enhanced with the majority of changes being to the Windows applications,
emulations and remote access. Integrated into Windows, the
applications are Windows Sockets compatible. Support for all NOS, extensive 
DBMS and third party support.

VT100-220, VT320-330, VT240-340, 3270 mods 2-5, 3179g, tek4010-4105, drag
& drop FTP client/server, LPR/LPD/IPR, NetBIOS, NDIS/ODI/PDS/ASI, 
SLIP/CSLIP/PPP/X.25, MIB2 SNMP agent, Scripting, Graphical Remapping, NFS, 
SMTP/IMAP/POP(MIME), NetNews reader.

Pricing:  Many different pricing schemes exist for these products based on
customer requirements, from shrink-wrap bundles to expandable licenses that
can be added to in any number, with discounts based on accrued amount levels.
Aggressive educational discounts and trade-up pricing are offered.

PathWay Access (Single User-DOS/Windows or Mac) - $350
Client NFS module - $95
API - $200

Technically supported evaluations are provided free of charge to qualified
individuals.  Also offered is a demonstration disk tour of PathWay Access 3.0
free and yours to keep.

The Wollongong Group; 1129 San Antonio Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303;
800-872-8649 (Outside Cal), 800-962-8649 (In Cal), (519)747-9900
(Canada), +31 2503-24142 (Europe), (415)962-7134,
(415)962-7247, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
PC-LINK for DOS 
PC-LINKW for Windows

X LINK Technology; 741 Ames Avenue, Milpitas CA 95035; (408)263-8201, fax:
(408)263-8203, mailto:[email-masked]

Suggestion 
PC-NFS v5.0	$395

PC-NFS from SunSelect (a Sun Microsystems business) includes a TCP/IP
stack, TCP/IP utilities under DOS and Windows, an NFS client, remote
printing support, SNMP, and Windows Sockets. Add-on packages support email
and advanced telnet. A Programmer's Toolkit is available which provides DOS
and Windows support for TCP/IP over sockets and XTI, as well as TIRPC, NIS
and supporting APIs.

SunSelect; 2 Elizabeth Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824-4195;(800)24-SELECT or
(508)442-0000; fax: (508)250-5068

Recommendation 
PC/TCP v2.2	$400 
Kernel Only	$200

PC/TCP v2.2 offers a solid implementation of TCP/IP for DOS, with some
Windows applications.  It includes NFS for UDP or TCP, remote login
(telnet, rlogin, supdup) with a variety of terminal emulators, file
transfer (FTP, TFTP, rcp), electronic mail and news (pop2, pop3, pcmail,
mail, SMTP, NNTP), printing (LPR and print redirection) and informational
utilities (whois, ping, finger, host). Some kerberos support is available
to domestic customers. If used alongside ConcordCommunications Mapware
controllers, this product is capable of handling both OSI and TCP/IP
concurrently. 3270 support is OK.

It is available for Ethernet (DIX or 802.3), Token Ring, SLIP, PPP,
LocalTalk and X.25 interfaces, over packet drivers, ODI drivers, NDIS
drivers, banyan drivers, and ASI drivers.

This package does not route; you are therefore restricted to installing it
with PPP, SLIP or Ethernet, but not some combination of the above.

PC/TCP is incompatible with Stacker. As of version 2.2, the Windows
applications have been improved. New to Windows support is the ability to
mount and unmount NFS drives from within Windows, and to use PCNFSD printer
services from Windows.

The 2.2 manual includes a 6-page install guidelette, and now offers a
menu-driven installation and configuration program.

FTP Software, Inc.; 2 High St., North Andover, MA 01845; (800)282-4387,
Support: 1-800-382-4ftp, fax: (508)794-4477, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
Piper/IP	$375 
Developer's Kit	$375

Piper/IP runs under DOS protected mode, using less than 6K of lower DOS
memory. The company claims that FTP transfers take place at100K/second over
a LAN. They also claim the ability to run concurrrently with NetWare,
VINES, LAN Manager, LAN Server, and WFW. The package includes a FTP, Telnet
(client and server), and SMTP.

Ipswitch, Inc.; 580 Main St, Reading, MA 01867; (617)942-0621, mailto:
[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
Super-TCP v3.00r	$495 
Super-NFS client v3.00r

SuperTCP supports telnet (3270, VT100, VT102, and VT220 emulation), talk,
SMTP, ftp, ping, and with Super-NFS, NFS client.  SuperTCP supports both
TCP/IP and Novell IPX protocols, as well as SNMP.

It is written as a DLL, although a TSR version of the protocol stack is
also available for those who want to use DOS as well. Network statistics
(arp, ICMP messages, etc.) are available. 

Frontier Technologies;10201 North Port Washington Road, Mequon, WI 53092,
(414)241-4555, fax:(414)241-7084, mailto:[email-masked]

Downright Speculation 
TCP/IP for DOS v2.10

IBM; Dept. E15, P.O. Box 12195, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709;
(800)IBM-CALL

Downright Speculation 
TCP/IP Utilities for LanManager v1.0 
Windows for Workgroups TCP/IP 
Windows NT

Microsoft; One Microsoft Way, Redmond WA 95052-6399; (206)882-8080

Downright Speculation 
TCP/2 for DOS

Essex Systems; (508)532-5511

Downright Speculation 
TTCP v1.2r2

Turbosoft Pty Ltd; 248 Johnston St., Annandale, NSW Aus. 2038; +61 2 552
1266, mailto:[email-masked] 

XWARE 

Suggestion 
PC-Xview

PC-Xview is available for DOS or Windows, supporting use of X over the
network.  It also supports NCD's Xremote protocol that allows X to run over
a modem much faster than could be achieved running a standard X package
over SLIP or PPP.

Network Computing Devices, Inc.; (800)793-7638

Downright Speculation
MicroX for Windows

A demo of this product is available as:
file://ftp.cica.indiana.edu/pub/pc/win3/uploads/xwindemo.zip

StarNet Communications, Corp. 

Downright speculation 
XVISION	$449

XVision allows X applications to run under Windows.  You have a choice of
running each X app in its own Window, or all X applications within one big
Window.

VisionWare, Ltd.; 57 Cardigan Lane, Leeds, England; 44-0-532-788858,
(800)222-0550, fax:44-0-532-304676

Downright Speculation 
DesQView X

DesQView X integrates networks of DOS and UNIX machines using the X-Windows
protocol, allowing DOS machines to act as X-Windows clients and servers.

Quarterdeck Office Systems; 150 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA90405;
(213)392-9851, fax:(213)399-3802 

Development Software 
Epilogue Technology

Includes source code. mailto:[email-masked], fax: (505)271-9788

Spider Systems 

Available for many architectures, mailto:[email-masked], fax:
44-31-555-0664

Marben Produit 
TCP/IP Source 

available, fax: 33-1-47.72.55.00

Network Research 
FUSION 
Source available, fax: 1(805)485-8204

------------------------------ END OF PART 3 ------------------------

Please send comments to:

Bernard Aboba
Author of:
The Online User's Encyclopedia, Addison-Wesley, 1993
The PC-Internet Connection, Publisher's Group West, 1994 
mailto:[email-masked]
WWW page: http://www.zilker.net/users/internaut/index.html